Jump to content

dave t

Established Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About dave t

  • Rank
    Established member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Here: read this: https://www.wirral.gov.uk/housing/housing-information-and-advice/private-landlords-and-managing-agents/selective-licensing
  2. Theres some good areas and some not so good. There's also a selective licensing area to look out for.
  3. I was considering this thought process on behalf of the Government: (a few years ago....) Govt - "Hmmmm, what can we do to make sure landlords look after their houses better - I know, we'll introduce better powers for local authorities to enforce standards...." (then they cut massive chunks out of local authorities, and introduce a fairly labour intensive enforcement regime. Govt - "Hmmm, now landlords evict tenants as soon as they contact the local authority.... how can we stop this?... I know - we'll introduce protection from eviction so that landlords can't evict people after they have complained to the local authority about them" (they introduce protection from eviction where the LA serves an enforcement notice, and make a few more cuts to local authority) Govt - "Hmmm, local authorities aren't serving many enforcement notices, and landlords are still evicting their tenants after they complain to local authority... what else can we do? Maybe we can give powers to the tenants to take action themselves" (they introduce the Homes act, enabling tenants to sue landlords directly using hhsrs, and make a few more cuts to local authority) Govt - "oh, landlords can still kick out their tenants after they try to sue them, because its not covered by protection from eviction, how can we stop this?" (they introduce the S21 ban) Govt - "ah yes, perfect, now tenants can sue their landlords with impunity, and probably even get repairs done themselves and take the money out of their rent, and their landlord won't be able to do anything about it without a court hearing... sorted!".
  4. If I was paying that much rent I'd expect a pretty high standard. It shouldn't cost more than £50 to get those 3 things sorted. Youre getting a good rent, and a good tenant who intends to keep the property in great condition - I'd get them done. If you don't get them done: Rust will get worse, possibly start staining the wall around (likely to cost a fair bit more to sort). Pealing paint may allow water damage to the surface below (again, likely to cost significantly more than a coat of paint) (I'd consider tiling that area anyway, then no further issues). Your tenant might start causing problems with rent payment, or move out (loads of hassle and expense).
  5. Here's my take on this: For more than 6 (sui generis), you would need planning permission whatever happens/ has happened in the past. So if you want to rent out to more than 6 people, you would need to put in an application (which you may or may not get). For up to 6 - you should apply for an ammendment to your licence - you must have applied for 9 (there will probably have been a specific question on the application) - and ensure that your licence is upto a maximum of 6 people. This avoids the sui generis issue totally. As regards Article 4, as far as I'm aware, any property that was operating as a HMO before the Directive was implemented, is not affected - although the local authority may well ask for evidence that it has been operating as a HMO beforehand - it sounds like you'd have no problem proving this. So, I'd say reduce occupancy to 6, amend your licence (there will probably be a fee for this), and tell the planning dept that you no longer need sui generis, and can prove how long it has been operating as an hmo before the directive.
  6. Your friends best bet would be to get a S8 Notice served on the grounds of rent arrears - this way it doesn't matter if he has done all or any of the other stuff that he should have done, and it's 2 weeks, instead of 2 months. It is a bit more complex, so probably best to get a specialist to do it. I can't recommend a specialist, but it needs to be one who is good a S8 evictions. Good luck!
  7. Hi When you employ a managing agent for a property - do they usually charge extra fees to either the LL or tenant, on top of the monthly % fee? For example - agent charges 10% of rent each month - tenant moves out - does the agent then find a new tenant and set up AST etc as part of the service included in that 10% fee - or charge extra on top of the fee? Or, the agent needs to arrange for some repairs to be done - do they charge extra for the extra work they need to do, and also builders costs etc? Also - extra charges for S21 notices, or court hearings etc? Thanks in advance.
  8. This makes an interesting read (if you're a complete saddo with nothing better to do). https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7671#fullreport
  9. This is a hypothetical question only - I'm just considering my best options for the future.... If I started a Ltd company to buy and rent out residential property, with myself and my wife as Directors - if the Company became bankrupt (or whatever the term is for companies that 'go bump') - could the mortgage companies for the houses under the ltd co (or anyone else?) try to reposses my family home, which is owned by myself + wife, or pursue me personally for any debt? Thanks
  10. Hi I'm aware that to become a property manager, no formal is actually required - but was wondering if there are any particular courses/ qualifications which are considered to be desirable/ the best? Such as ARLA, or City & guilds etc...... If you were looking for a manager - what qualifications/ memberships would you look for? Thanks
  11. Yep, good work. I was aiming my reply at the OP though.
  12. "You must be a member before you apply for a licence - we cannot offer 'retrospective' discounts. If you stop being a member we will recover the full fee." HMO's are NOT included in discounts either.
  • Create New...