Jump to content

Tim Wragby

New Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About Tim Wragby

  • Rank
    Obsessed member!

Contact Methods

  • Skype

Profile Information

  • Location
  • Areas I invest in
  • Property investment interests
    Standard BTL
  • My skills
    I am a Senior Manager of large letting arm of a property company with national reach across England.
    I have a passion for seeing property letting done properly and for providing the best service to our client landlords as well as maintaining an effective working relationship with all our tenants.
    I maintain a strong interest in monitoring and disseminating changes to legislation to ensure that landlords have the most up-to-date information possible & I like joining up information from the macro picture to meet my clients' more local needs.
    Twitter Acct - @TimWragby
    Legal Disclaimer - All opinions or advice I offer is free, given with the best of intentions & my opinion only. It should not be considered professional legal advice. Anything I opine should be verified by expert legal advice that has been paid for before taking formal legal action and the information / opinion I offer is intended to alert readers to a route that they may choose to take or a view offered by someone who works day-to-day in a lettings setting and from my experiences within the industry.
  • My goals
    To Get It Right
    To Develop My Portfolio
  • Interests outside property
    Football Referee, Hill Walking, Photography & Family

Recent Profile Visitors

2,754 profile views
  1. Dennis hi, There may be no need to pay for the services of a specialist eviction service and I would recommend you first discuss the situation with your agent who should be appropriately trained in dealing with such tenants - that is what you pay them for. Sadly it is not uncommon and difficult tenants are too frequent. At present, if you have reached the end of your 6 month initial tenancy agreement you would have two options (again your tenant should have already discussed this with you) that is to make arrangements to renew another fixed term period - which under the current circumst
  2. James hi, EPC regulations are a fairly mis-understood area and to a degree the answer is - it depends... If you served your tenant with a copy of the EPC when they moved in and can prove you did so by them having signed as having received it then you do not need to get an EPC assessment done until you renew the tenancy agreement. Therefore, if you are on a periodic tenancy you could wait until they depart, but would not be able to re-advertise the property until you had a new certificate and so ssould end up with a void as your outgoing tenants could refuse access to the asse
  3. The Zoopla valuation tool - as noted above - is very poor and is not reliable enough as a tool, in my opinion, to be used for a meaningful valuation. It is an algorithm that is too indiscriminate in the properties it includes, takes no account of equivalent size, condition and real location (ie a property 2 streets away can be massively different in price due to location of other factors such as proximity to negative factors or positive factors). Agents have access (and pay handsomely for it) to back room tools for creating meaningful comparables of near like for like as they can and a g
  4. The Labour Party have private landlords in sights and have also stated that they want to shake up council tax and make owners responsible for payment of a new property tax and not occupants and will include punitive rates on second or empty properties. This effectively means that if passed landlords and not tenants will pay the tax. A third declared policy is that they also want to place caps on rents A fourth is that they want to add to the no Sect 21 by ending Assured Short Hold tenancies and tenants will have the right to remain at the property and a landlord will not be able t
  5. Cunning plans to try and get round paying too much tax tend to fail unless you have proper advice from an appropriate and qualified expert which is worth paying for. Stamp Duty Land Tax is fraught with pitfalls and you will need to take appropriate advice however, I believe that if you purchase the second property you would be liable for the 3% surcharge on top of any other SDLT that is due on purchase price. This article may help https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/knowledge/articles/2017/06/stamp-duty-land-tax-surcharge-for-married-couples/
  6. Sean, Renting a property should be no problem as long as you can prove you can pay and I would recommend using a properly accredited agent who operates under ARLA Propertymark or RICS regulations and they will normally be very happy to assist you to take on a rented property while you complete your renovations. As long as you can complete the appropriate referencing process they will be able to walk you through the process
  7. Ian hi I am sorry to hear that your new tenancy appears to have gone badly wrong. It appears that you have two different sides to the story and it may be hard to unravel who really is telling the truth as just because the tenant says they told your agent does not necessarily mean that they did. Tracking back a bit, what checks did you do on the agent you chose to manage your property? Did you ask them about the way they reference check their applicants and how they go about filtering out applicants by their application process. Did you look at the contract that they sign with tena
  8. I am not a specialist in this matter but these two links may be of some use to your purposes. If you already own the property you may find that the local fire service's fire safety staff may be able to advise you but also if you have a block management company they should be carrying out the regular fire safety checks and assessments. Communal fire safety should also be the responsibility of the leaseholder to resolve if matters need addressing https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/guidance-on-fire-safety-in-individual-purpose-built-flats.shtml https://www.local.gov.uk/sites/defa
  9. Ady As far as I am aware SDLT is payable on purchase/ change of ownership and so change of use will not trigger your liability for SDLT - but contact HMRC if you cannot get what you need from their website information. Sorry can't advise on second question
  10. Douglas, Just out of interest, how did you go about referencing your tenants when they applied for the tenancy? Did you carry out the reference checks yourself or did you use a company? If you do use proper referencing companies there are several insurance packages you can take out for loss of rent and malicious damage etc. A good letting agent should be able to advise you on this but also the National Landlords Assoc (NLA) (& I would expect the RLA also) have a eferencing set up which both members and non-members can use. I would strongly advise you always reference check an appli
  11. Dani sorry to heat your story. I m not qualified to be able to give you financial advice but from where I see you I would be careful to jump back onto the property market too soon and find yourself very exposed. If you borrow to the max and have no plan B when faced with a large bill it would finish you off and that would be something none of us would want for you. . If you are only able to buy at the bottom of a housing market you are likely to be buying properties with both visible and invisible issues. Buying this type of property and in the areas where it is this cheap requires
  12. Probably worth writing to the council concerned under the guise of seeking your arrears as you are aware that they were in receipt of Housing Benefits. This would alert the council to the situation without it being seen as a direct snitch. Not sure how much notice council's take of these matters a they probably see it as too difficult and a private matter between Tenant and Landlord rather than notification of fraudulent use of public funds which you or I would hope they would
  13. I would recommend taking some more formal advice from a properly qualified tax accountant who is FCA registered as getting tax advice wrong can have costly results. Rule of thumb though is that- if you have thought of a cunning plan to reduce tax liability then the tax man will have got there first and shut the door! Otherwise something like this will be a common practice. If you are thinking of setting yourself up as an agent you would have to do it properly and will now need to register to comply with a raft of recent legislation
  14. Great work guys App features works a treat and love the access from the phone so keep in contact from my phone
  • Create New...