Jump to content

charlotte clark

Established Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About charlotte clark

  • Rank
    Established member
  1. Hello! My partner and I are far down the line with purchasing a property, however with the announcement today of another lockdown we're worried about job security and if house prices are going to plummet next year. We're currently saving £15k on stamp duty in a house to live in London and do up over time (sell in 10years ish) and have already paid around £3k on various surveys and quotes etc. We've been told by the experts it's going to cost around £20k just to make the property structually safe (damp, wall structure etc.) with unexpected costs (so may see if the sellers would be willing
  2. Thank you so much, that really helps - fingers crossed!
  3. Hello Hello We're in the process of buying a property and the homebuyer survey came back saying that we need to instruct a structural engineer to provide a quote to confirm satisfactory support has been provided to the remaining chimney breast and stack (and if there is a risk eccentric loading which could occur on the neighbouring chimney breast in the neighbouring property). The average quote for a structural engineer to quote for us is around £820 +VAT (not including the work) and then we'll need a quote from a builder for the work on top. Do you know if that's a typical cost
  4. Thank you so much everyone for your responses, it’s been really helpful. We are still very nervous to go ahead however they have now listed it as under offer. I read an interesting article today that the government might change this (was in the pipeline for early this year but understandably other things have happened!) so hopefully some more measures to protect buyers/sellers goes ahead. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/oct/25/revealed-the-plan-to-end-gazumping-in-house-sales I also read in the article about a company Phil Spencer recommends, gazeal.co.uk. Apparently both sell
  5. Hi Luis thank you so much for your information too, it’s been really helpful. On reflection we realised the cost would be too great for us with this property, so we didn’t go ahead but we’ve just had an offer accepted on another one which will require less work. If it goes through we’d be happy to contact you for the estimate, what are the best details to reach you on? Thanks
  6. Hello! We're excited to have had an offer accepted on a home however the agents have told us that it is their policy not to take a property off the market once it has been accepted. We have tried to dispute this (as have been gazumped before!) however the agent and seller feel strongly it should stay on due to the uncertain market. Now we are hesitant to pay any upfront costs without the reassurance that it is not still being advertised. 1. The agents say they will not do any more viewings and their best suggestion is to advertise the property as 'under offer' once we have book
  7. Hi Tom, that is really helpful and gives us a great starting place. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!
  8. Hello! I'm interested in purchasing a period semi-detached 2 bed Victorian house. The living room is very small, so we had the idea of knocking through the wall to the right-hand side of the property and bring the front door forward to the front of the house (I've attached the floorplan and drawn a green line labelled 'D' to show where this would be extended). The orange line ('A' & 'B') is where the property is attached to the houses either side. We also wanted to extend the kitchen into the garden (see the blue line 'C' where we would place bi-folding doors) and make the k
  9. Thank you Debbie, you’re completely right! I have now got through to HMRC and they have confirmed that it’s fine to do the reduced interest. As long as my mums share doesn’t increase by more than £40k too, then she won’t have to declare and pay higher stamp duty either (we just about fit within this). Thanks so much for your help, there’s hope after all! Hopefully this may help others facing a similar situation... Charlotte
  10. Hi Debbie Yes that's correct, but because I'm looking to buy a second property (to live in and renovate with my partner) unfortunately from solicitors and Property Hub Tax it sounds as though owning two properties would mean I have to pay the higher rate. Otherwise, it could be seen by HMRC as trying to evade the higher rate tax, both following the joint borrower, sole proprieter route and reducing my interest to 1% route (as suggested by various brokers). I've been trying to get through to HMRC for over a week now, but the line is always busy so not able to have confirmation. I
  11. Hi Debbie Thank you for your message, I really appreciate your response. Unfortunately, we've looked into that route (including advice from Property Hub Tax and Mortgage services) and apparently it's based on the number of properties we own, rather than my interest in the separate property so it would not change the higher stamp duty charge. The only other option I can see, is to put the new property in my partner's name (I'm on the mortgage for lending purposes only), and have a 'Living together agreement'. Just difficult as I would then have no right to the capital or any incr
  12. Hi there! I'm looking to buy a property with my partner this year which we plan to live in, renovate and sell (hopefully making a profit). We're both currently renting, he's a first-time buyer and I own a separate buy-to-let property with my mum. However, we've just hit a sticking point as discovered that because I own a buy-to-let, my partner and I would have to pay £26k land tax for higher stamp duty, as opposed to the £12,650 that we originally calculated. Some have told us that if I reduce my ownership to 1% and my mum has 99%, or if my partner and I take out a 'jo
  • Create New...