Jump to content


New Member
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Location
    Warlingham, Surrey. Its just South of Croydon
  • Areas I invest in
    South London and the South East
  • About me
    Full time property developer.
    Getting into off market deal sourcing and development site scouting.
  • Property investment interests
    Leasehold/Freehold disputes
    Development and refurbs
    Planning polices
    Boundary disputes
    Title registers and plans
  • My skills
    Construction and refurbishment
    Conveyancing and legals.
    Development finance
    Understanding leases, transfer and title documentation

  • My goals
    To help people!

Recent Profile Visitors

1,671 profile views

Conrad_Paton's Achievements


Super-member (4/5)



  1. Hi Bradley Work out what you think the flat is worth and send your offer via email. Then just continue to keep viewing other properties Conrad Paton
  2. Have you actually checked on the local planning department's website? Or phoned them up? Some council records do go back to the 1970's. If they cant help you ... you could always ask if the completion cert will show on any local authority searches due to its age. Also you could find out when the current vendors purchased it and ask to see what their conveyancer thought of the situation etc etc
  3. Hi Nick Ive bought on private roads and even private estates before. It depends on a few factors as to whether i would buy. 1.the current age and condition of the road. 2. If the condition will either add to the appeal (if good) or hinder the likelihood of it renting (if in bad condition). Same when i come to sell 3. Maintenance costs how much? 4. Are these maintenance costs factored into the deal/ROI? 5. Who organises the maintenance of the road? Is it being done, is there a reserve fund already in place etc? Generally if the road is old, heavily potholed i would be put off from living there. Therefore it stands to reason some tenants would be too. If you are looking at a nice neat cul-de-sac with a few properties on it then thats obviously more appealing. Conrad Paton
  4. Hi malmopearce I refer anyone looking for commercial or development finance to Neil King at Darkwood Finance. If you choose to call him on 07717798827 just mention my name (he may remember me). Neils advice is free and he'll only charge a brokerage fee once you are 100% happy to proceed. Mixed use or 100% commercial it doesnt matter, he can finance it. Conrad Paton
  5. Hmmm this sounds very much like you are advertising your services. This is against the forum rules!
  6. Hi Nothing wrong with a year's rent in advance. At least you can plan/budget for the next 12 months and know you haven't any void periods in that time. Only re-invest what you have 'spare' though. Conrad Paton
  7. Hi Lucie, If you are comfortable with still having a residential mortgage after the fixed term ends, (you could look at a remortgage to another fixed resi product?), if your current BTL is doing well and the cash you have saved up is 'spare', then buying another BTL does make sense. You may feel the market is overpriced..but investment in property should be considered a long term plan. If you intend to keep your BTL's and the figures stack up, then there is nothing wrong with buying one now. You're mortgage payments would be higher than if you purchased when the price was lower obvs, but if you only make a capital loss or gain when you sell. In the meantime you will hopefully be gaining in rental income. This could be more financially beneficial than either paying off your existing resi mortgage or leaving the cash in the bank waiting for the market to drop. There are alot of factors you dont mention...your income, your age, your investment goals etc. It all boils down to your appetite for risk. Nothing wrong with paying off your existing mortgage, it will lower your current debt, which isnt glorified at the moment but could be the 'safest' option. Conrad Paton
  8. Like Derek says. Start with what you want to achieve and then look at realising the equity in order to achieve your goals. It can make sense to do it...you just need a plan. Investment carries risks of course.
  9. You should have a separate gas safety cert. It comes in a 3 carbon copied form. The tenant keeps a copy, the Landlord keeps a copy and the gas 'engineer' keeps a copy. I doubt wether an installation cert will cover you Conrad Paton
  10. Hi Brian, Sorry...i would love to be able to help you but my knowledge of the Scottish system is very limited. "First of all check your title deeds. Title deeds set out: which parts of the property you own which parts of the property you are responsible for maintaining how your building is managed (for example, it may be managed by a factor) what proportion of certain areas you own (for example, you may own 50% of the roof or garden) who is responsible for repairs and maintenance how the cost of repairs and maintenance should be divided up. These responsibilities are known as 'burdens'. If your title deeds don't say who is responsible for maintaining the communal areas then you can use the Tenement Management Scheme. Shelter Scotland has some good advice about the responsibility of repairs and maintenance in communal areas." but i did find this ^^ on the internet. My only comment would be...if you cannot find any information about the water tank on your deeds, then is it possible you could check your neighbours deeds? Confirm their ownership of the loft area and see what their deeds say about the tank (if anything). if nothing else...maybe my replying will bump up your post so others with more knowledge can find your question easier Conrad Paton
  11. Hi again Tom Theres no right and wrong answer to this... But if my opinion helps... The fact that you are asking implies to me you may need the £5k in cash rather than tied up in furniture. Sooooo If possible I would purchase at £150k with the furniture thrown in for free. As its a student let, you may need that £5k for repairs, or expenses, or just to cover a void period or two, and as the interest rates are low, why would you not leave as little of your own money in the deal? Unless you're financially comfortable, then borrowing less does increase profits. Conrad Paton
  12. Hi Tom, Yes you could. As long as the vendor agrees to this and the furniture is worth 5k. You'll obviously need all this recorded in the fixtures and fittings forms. The days of reducing SDLT by purchasing separate items of furniture etc at inflated prices have long gone. As for the 'best' option? It depends on whether or not £5k in furniture will increase your rent or not. Whether you could rent it with un-furnished? Don't forget I believe you can claim tax relief for the furniture in your rental too. Have you factored this into your ROI equation? Conrad Paton
  13. Hi Michael, I review my own packs and occasionally those of others. Im happy to teach you. Ill send you a DM with my contact details on, and you can contact me if you choose. Conrad Paton
  14. On behalf of all those that helped you... I'm really pleased! In a week you not only have learnt how to vet your own tenants, but you've been more diligent than most (if not all) letting agents. Well done 👍🏻 Conrad Paton
  15. Hi Mark, You could look into a rent to rent deal, or a purchase/lease option? Or you could simply manage the property for a % of the monthly rent ? This all depends on how you have structured your property business of course. Or you structure a JV where the profits from rental are shared? Many possibilities.... Conrad Paton
  • Create New...