Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'insurance'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Property Hub
    • Housekeeping
    • Property in the news
    • Introduce yourself
    • General property discussion
    • I need advice!
    • Progress journals
    • Property Podcast discussion
    • Property Hub University
    • Chit-Chat
  • The Property Hub Summit


There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Website URL



Areas I invest in

About me

Property investment interests

My skills

My goals

Interests outside property

  1. Hi I'm a landlord of a 2 bed first floor flat in London since 2015 and have a landlord insurance that includes subsidence. Last year i tried to sell it, found an investment type buyer but the sale dropped as the Lender surveyor report was negative. I didnt get a copy of the report but i was told its due to structural problems. Property does have cracks at the front and inside. Prior to let it in 2015 i lived there for about 9 years and had seen cracks (they were either hair line or not too big) appearing which i attributed to railway line and an adjacent main road. I've been reading about the subsidence claims on different forums and really not sure if i should start with my insurer or get a structural survey done and find out the route cause and if its subsidence of some level then get it fixed myself before listing the property again. My guess is that even if its a minor subsidence and if i get it fixed myself, the next buyer will still have problems obtaining insurance? So in effect the potential buyers will be deterred if i pay myself or get insurance company to pay. My landlord insurance company also got busted last year but they were taken up by another company and i will be automatically moved to the new company in October this year so still have about 5-6 months with my old company albeit, i'm still insured by old company's underwriter. I have read that its a good idea that the potential buyer stays with the same insurance company (if i take out a claim for subsidence) but in this case if i take a claim now the account will be transferred to the new company where it may not be the case? What should be the best course of action. Shall i start with my insurer or look for structural engineers? what do i need to make a claim from my insurer?
  2. Hi all! Can anyone recommend a landlord insurance provider for a high rise building? My flat is on the 54th floor of a new development and I'm struggling to find a provider. Any advice would be great!
  3. Hi guys so my journey in to property has taken a bit of a wild one, I am now managing about 5 properties with some family members and need advice on best way to insure them going forward. As the properties are in different names (all one family) would putting all the properties under a SPV be a good option in terms of getting discount for all being under same name? If not who would you recommend for several insurance deals (2 properties per person)? Had a little look online but as always I try to get the opinions of the guys in here.
  4. I'm renovating a buy to let flat in a building that has 6 flats. There is already building insurance for the building which is part of the service charge. So i want to findout if I need to get insurance for renovation work. Or is it normal to do renovation without taking out renovation insurance each time? Thanks
  5. Good evening, all. My thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any guidance on the below. I own a new build property, which is subject to latent defects cover. I purchased this property in 2016 and opened claims under the late defects insurance policy with my adjoining nextdoor neighbor in 2017. These claims have been kicked around by the insurer for several years now but have been accepted and will be actioned in the next year or so. The works relate to structural defects. In short: the property will need to have its ground foundation strengthened. The open insurance claim will see rectification works take place at both my property and my neighbor, at some point in the future. The claims for each property are identical, but individual to each property, and have been parcelled together by the insurer for their ease. My ambition is to sell the property as soon as this work is complete, due to my financial position. I would also like to know whether I might also be able to sell the property ahead of the completion of this work (say, via auction), without jeopardising my neighbour's claim. Am I correct in believing that I could, hypothetically, sell now, since the claims are individually unique to each property? Grateful for any steer. Best wishes, Jon
  6. Hi all, I get my 1st BTL on tues and have spent ages checking out various companies for quotes, is there a company that does them all for a decent price? Buildings & Contents Landlord’s Ins Emergency Cover Public Liability Appreciate any feedback ✅
  7. Hello I set up a boiler cover with 247 home rescue! I can't stress enough how bad they are. The day before the tenants moved in my cleaner noticed the boiler was leaking, they turned it off and contacted me. I called to make a claim with the cover plan and the rejected it as I could give them the pressure of the boiler. I explained to them I was 140miles of the east coast on an oil rig and they didn't care. I then had to get an other engineer out who I paid £120 but he couldn't sort jt. So I then called up to make a claim again as there were tenants that could give the pressure and whatever other info they need. The declined this offer claim as a third party went to it. I explained that I had to do that because my property was going to flood because they wouldn't come out. so they have left the property with no heating or hot water. I had to contact British Gas and pay £100 and take out a years cover! Leason learned! £100 to British gas £42 to home rescue £120 to the plumber who couldn't fix it In future I will always go with British gas. They came out the next morning.
  8. Hi There Fellow Landlords, i’m looking for some advice. My landlord insurance is up for new renewal. Two of my properties will require building insurance and a further two do not require a building insurance so cover will only be for damage etc etc. I would like if possible to put all my properties on one insurance policy. I would appreciate any advice that people have to offer from their own experiences. Is it worth insuring the two properties that do not require building insurance (building insurance is handled by the management company) what are the pitfalls if I do not? Thank you
  9. Hi All! I'm new to the forum and was looking for some advice on recommended insurers and covers. I'm planning on letting out a residential home to three tenants and want to ensure I have the correct level of cover and go with a trusted insurer. Any tips/ advice please? Thanks.
  10. Hi All, Given the recent uncertainty created by Coronovirus and 'fake news' stories about insurance companies not paying out on policies I wanted to provide you with some clarity on the situation direct from our protection team. Please take a look at the link below for more information... https://www.privatefinance.co.uk/news/blog/2020/03/25/coronavirus-covid19-and-your-protection-insurance I hope this is helpful to some of you, given the current situation. Stay safe! Best regards Nathan Cole
  11. Hello, i gave previously used Simply Business to do my landlord insurance. I have nothing against them, however would appreciate any suggestions of alternate providers to consider. I have three properties that I would like to insure (standard construction house / flat). Thank you for your time.
  12. Hi I am looking at rent guarantee insurance does anyone know the best policy to go for and what company. I have looked at oops insurance rent guarantee and Alan Boswell insurance.
  13. Hi - I'm Jack, although lots of people know me as Brum - whatever you prefer is best! I have been to a meet up in Manchester and thought that this would help plug the void between contact at events - and enable me to access a number of other people who could help me in my property journey. I found my way here through the podcasts, which I have listened to religiously for a good while now, and made my way through the back catalogue in my long drives up and down the country... this is the first forum I have been a part of so I dont know the manners, so apologies if I make mistakes, just let me know and I'm happy to play by the rules. What you've done in property so far Helped a few renovation projects for friends and family Owned my own house for a number of years and let a room out What areas you invest in (or want to invest in) Looking in the north around established hubs Manchester/Liverpool/Sheffield/Hull/Leeds/York A mix of simple BTL's on houses or Apartments - potentially also looking at LHA to begin with to help with cashflow What your plans are for the future I'm in it as a retirement investment strategy alongside a few other investments Ideally I want to get my cashflow to a level matching my expenses, continue to work and then develop into capital growth markets over 15/20 years I am interested in flipping and also plan on doing some of this if the property is suitable Any skills or knowledge you've got that other members might benefit from I have been in commercial insurance as a senior manager/executive for a number of years and I'm an expert in insurance across a number of industry sectors I am from the Midlands and have good local knowledge of the area - in particular Walsall Wood/Sutton Coldfield/Litchfield I have lived in Manchester for 5 years and have good knowledge of Northeast Manchester near the Etihad/Failsworth/Moston/Ancoats I have a number of reliable tradespeople in my network I phave a netwrok with access to mobile cranes/skips and other machinary in Lancashire Hope to get the chance to catch up with more people soon Best, Brum
  14. Hi I am in the process of buying a house that needs some work. I will get electrics and boiler fitted by qualified tradesmen but most of the other stuff I will do myself - new kitchen/bathroom/decorating (nothing structural). An insurer is quoting for the place to be empty for 3 months whilst being refurbed. However, they have said that I need to take out a £1M public liability policy as I will be doing some of the work myself - they also don't offer this and say I need to get it from another insurer. To me this work is no more than any competent DIYer would be doing but I don't know of anyone who takes out Public Liability when they do their own work. Searching online the nearest I can find is self-build insurance but that seems overkill and the policy with the insurer covers the buildings aspect anyway. Has anyone else come across this or have any advice? Thanks in advance Rob
  15. Hi guys, I was wondering if any land lords insure the appliances across their portfolio or just pay for repairs/replacements outright? If anyone could recommend a landlord specific white goods/appliance insurer that'd be great! Thanks in advance, Jordan
  16. Hi Tribers, My solicitor recommended I take out director's insurance against cyber crime as part of my limited company purchase- reason being its apparently increasingly common for company directors' details to be appropriated (simple companies house beta search) and frauded. Wondering if anyone else in the community has opted to take this up as part of their ltd co borrowing (or is it a bit of a red herring)? and whether the costs is reasonable? Thanks
  17. Hi guys, just a quick few questions on tax that come up less often. BTL insurance claim, if you claim on your insurance for damage to a BTL property, do you claim the insurance payout as income and claim any contractor repair costs as expenses or do you claim neither as its an insurance payout rather than earned income? If you withhold some or all of the deposit due to losses of time, work, rent, damage or whatever, either for actual contractor costs or for your own time and hard work to clean and repair etc, does this need to be claimed as income or not as the deposit is actually to counter act your losses? Many Thanks Scott Child
  18. Hello, I have two questions regarding buildings insurance that i would be grateful if you could answer. I am currently renting out my flat (unfurnished), I contacted the factors regarding this and they told me that i do not need to notify the building insurance provider regarding this and stated that I should take out additional landlord insurance. I was under the impression that both buildings and landlord insurance were both very similar and you only need one, is this correct? I am not worried about contents insurance. I also asked the factors, if i could change insurance provider. I am currently paying £300 per year building insurance and believe I could get a better deal elsewhere, they stated that i would need to get everyone else in the block of flats to agree to change the building insurance provider before i could change this. Does this normally happen / does this sound correct? Appreciate your help
  19. Hi, some advice please. A tree in the back garden of a single let property has split and fallen and damaged the tenants contents inc kids trampoline, swingset, and paddling pool. Luckily no damage to house and thank god no-one was hurt. Issues to address: i have half a tree that needs to be cut down. half a tree that needs to be dispossed of. tenants personal belongings damaged. now im guessing im liable for the tree to be cut down and the removal of what has fallen. but the tenants contents are they covered by my buildings insurance? Is the tree falling covered by buildings insurance? Is this entire thing covered inc costs of tree removal and replacement of tenants possessions? ultimately its an act of god that being a tree should be covered under buildings insurance and the tree having damaged possessions should cover that also. thanks for any advice Scott Child
  20. Hi All I am wondering if anyone could recommend a property insurance broker. I am starting a rent to rent business so it would be great if anyone has experience of working with a broker that understands the model. No problem if not I am sure a general property insurance broker would work as well. Thanks in advance! Josh
  21. Hi there Do Hubbers have any views on whether tax investigations insurance is worth it? My accountant has just offered it to me for c.£100 per year. Interestingly, it includes 24/7 legal advice on commercial matters, employment and health and safety. Has anyone else had this insurance and ever used it i.e. had a tax investigation the costs of which were then covered? Jeremy
  22. Dear all, I have been letting out a couple of properties in Scotland for nearly three years now. I have been using Simply Business from the outset, finding them to be pretty competitive. My issue is that the insurance for one of my properties (a small 1 bed tenement near the city centre in a relatively good area) has come up for renewal however the quote they have given me for this year has gone up by over 60% on last year (up from £100.09 to £166). This seems a ridiculous and drastic increase, despite nothing having changed with my quote or property, however I have shopped around and I'm not getting much luck on finding a much better deal. Has anyone else experienced a similar hike in their quotes? Are there any recommendations out there for landlord insurance for Scottish tenements? Thanks!
  23. Hi guys Would appreciate your comments / advice here please. I have an opportunity to lease a property from a neighbour while they move abroad for a couple of years, and would operate it on a rent to rent basis. My query is - who is responsible for what in terms of insurance? I obviously don't own the property (a lot of insurance companies ask for details on ownership etc.) so keen to get your thoughts on this. Many thanks GM
  24. Hi, My insurance wants locks conforming to BS3621 or a 3 bolt multi point locking system. From what I understand this means a key lock on both sides of a front/back door lock. However, from a fire safety perspective a turning knob to lock from the inside is safer. I feel like I have to go with the insurance requirements but I can't help but feel my hand is being forced at the expensive of safety. Has anyone else managed to square this circle? With thanks S
  25. Hi, My insurance wants locks conforming to BS3621 or a 3 bolt multi point locking system. From what I understand this means a key lock on both sides of a front/back door lock. However, from a fire safety perspective a turning knob to lock from the inside is safer. I feel like I have to go with the insurance requirements but I can't help but feel my hand is being forced at the expensive of safety. Has anyone else managed to square this circle? With thanks S
  • Create New...