Sign in to follow this  
kendrickbreaux

Does tennis court add value to your property?

I have been periodically checking local real estate listings recently, as I am interested in upgrading to a different house if I can find one that meets all of my hard-to-find criteria. I've finally found such a home, but it's got one problem. A full-size tennis court in the backyard. I don't play tennis, but it looks like it is older and will need to resurface the tennis court if someone needs to play. If I bought the house, I would want to remove it and plant grass and trees in its place. It takes up half of the back yard and is like 20 feet out from the back door of the house. It looks terrible since it has no landscaping or other screening around it.
This house is priced about the same as similar homes without tennis courts. I assume beat up tennis courts detract from a home's value? Or am I wrong? Do they actually add value? Would the subtraction from value typically be the cost of removal?

It sounds like some luxury Trappings. Tennis courts, helipads, swimming pools and the like will increase your home's so-called cool factor, but they won't make you any money. These amenities can attract the visitors, but you can't expect more real dollar value during the resale!!