Refurb - told I need Public Liability insurance to do work myself

Rojaym

Hi

I am in the process of buying a house that needs some work.  I will get electrics and boiler fitted by qualified tradesmen but most of the other stuff I will do myself - new kitchen/bathroom/decorating (nothing structural).   An insurer is quoting for the place to be empty for 3 months whilst being refurbed.  However, they have said that I need to take out a £1M public liability policy as I will be doing some of the work myself  - they also don't offer this and say I need to get it from another insurer.   To me this work is no more than any competent DIYer  would be doing but I don't know of anyone who takes out Public Liability when they do their own work.  Searching online the nearest I can find is self-build insurance but that seems overkill and the policy with the insurer covers the buildings aspect anyway.

Has anyone else come across this or have any advice?

Thanks in advance

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anthony.  Unfortunately my purchase has fallen through due to insurance issues - minor cracks put down to drains by the surveyor meant most insurance companies wouldn't cover it - the one that would was making demands that ended up making it unworkable but that's another story!

However, the last insurer I was talking to (Towergate) didn't mention this public liability requirement -they just said I wouldn't be insured for damage that I caused with the work I was going to do; which is fair enough.  

Rob