hibbsey

Need advice tapping into equity on my residential mortgage

Hi everyone, I’m a 28 year old from Jersey and looking for advise from some wise people out there. 

About two years ago I bought my first property worth £540,000 with a deposit of £270,000, at the time with no experience in property investment and very little knowledge, (as you can tell :) ). Knowing what I know now I would have done things very differently, but no regrets. 

My question is, I’m on a 5 year fixed mortgage at 2.24% with a very large amount of equity in the property, how can I get into that equity to use to invest in more property, I know there’s different ways but if anyone can point me in the best direction that would be great. 

Thanks in advance! 

The only way you can get at your equity is to remortgage & as you are only 2 years into a 5 year deal there will be penalties to pay. Check on your mortgage what these penalties are before going any further since this will make a big hole in any potential profit.

Might be best to find a different way to fund a deposit for the next property purchase & look to remortgage at the end of your 5 yr term.

Good luck :) 

On 2/28/2019 at 4:13 PM, hibbsey said:

Hi everyone, I’m a 28 year old from Jersey and looking for advise from some wise people out there. 

About two years ago I bought my first property worth £540,000 with a deposit of £270,000, at the time with no experience in property investment and very little knowledge, (as you can tell :) ). Knowing what I know now I would have done things very differently, but no regrets. 

My question is, I’m on a 5 year fixed mortgage at 2.24% with a very large amount of equity in the property, how can I get into that equity to use to invest in more property, I know there’s different ways but if anyone can point me in the best direction that would be great. 

Thanks in advance! 

As mentioned get your agreement out and have a look at what the penalties could be.  They normally start at say 2% and then decrease for every year.  You may be really lucky and find that you do not have any penalties at all.

Lets say however that you do have a penalty... work it out what it will cost.  If it does cost you 2%, then what % return would you get investing in something?  Personally I would just bite the bullet and do it, the amount of money that you would potentially be losing by waiting a few years would put a small fee into a different light.  bets way is to sit down with a piece if paper, a pen and a calculator and crunch the numbers.

Darren

801227600_HighQualityPNGfileFORUMLOGO.png.23ff88f5166b9e802cae5e45e4d91361.png

Follow our daily property updates via Instagram or Facebook:

Instagram Daily Updates

Facebook Daily Updates

Follow each property renovation in our new forum:

Our Detailed Journal Weekly Updates

Have a look to see how we could work together:

www.fmp-investments.com

property@f-m-p.uk

Boutique Lettings Service:

http://www.fmp-investments.com/lettings