Overlooked Garden - Do Tenants Really Mind?

Dear Fellow Members,

I am considering buying an investment property to rent out, my seventh.

The 2 bed terrace house in question is ideal in every way, apart from the fact that the small garden (its a new build, 2 years old) is directly overlooked at the back by a mixture of 4 storey tall town houses. It almost feels as if they overshadow the property itself.

I would welcome any feedback as to if this would put any potential tenants off renting it or if  it could be considered as a flaw in the property and be a problem re-selling in the longer term.

Any opinions would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

LJ.

Thanks, thats great advice.  Its often difficult to see the property as a 'business' and overlook the fact that its something that I would not necessarily like to live in myself.  Its been let consistently by its previous owners so I guess thats proof enough too.

• 2 weeks later...

My colleague and I are in the process of buying a terraced property that is overlooked in by other terraces and also some younger build low rise flats adjacent to the gardens. There is also a disused cinema (red brick 60's construction, not pretty) at the back which is not particularly attractive and its unclear when (if ever!) that will be removed / developed.

I was initially severely put off by the cinema looming at the back. My colleague was not really too worried, he encouraged me to take that into account when agreeing what price to offer. We also established that it had been reliably rented for many years, and in fact is in the main rentals area for the town. 

The house is at the lower end of the market. We will try and make it a nice pleasant rent for someone, but I think you have to look at it through the tenants eyes and think about their means. If they could afford to rent or buy somewhere without that factor present, they would. The point about not treating it by the standard of your own house is a good one - try to think about what is likely to be acceptable to a tenant who will find it affordable, then just make it is as nice and homely as you reasonably can with your budget / anticipated yield.

Steve

Unless the view is spectacularly ugly - with something fairly offensive (industrial development, rubbish tip, eyesore building) I do not think that it is likely to make letting a problem.  Most new housing estates are high density and everyone is predominantly very over-looked and it is generally considered normal fare.

Make sure the insides of the property at least have potential and that the local amenities are likely to make it a generally desirable location to live.