Investment Areas in Scotland

Interesting to read some of the comments above as, along with some friends / work colleagues, I am looking at setting up a property investment business and for various reasons we were considering Glasgow Southside as one potential location and noted Dundee as a potential option too.  Have applied to join the SPIN group on FB but struggling to get good data out of RightMove and Zoopla as there seems to be limited information on the no. of rooms in each property, therefore any tips on research would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 10:39 AM, eamonheggarty said:

Guys great so see more chat about Scotland. This Website/forums would benefit from a separate "scotland" link which i might purpose to property hub as Scotland / england are clearly different in many aspects of property and each element is dealt with. Even more evident now that the virus has came about and rules in england (opening up the property market 6 weeks early) vs scotland is totally different. 

Would anyone be interested in a general whatsapp property group maybe called "scotland property hub" were we can bounce ideas, mentor and ask any questions about the markets in scotland etc?

Happy to start it if there is some interest? 

Cheers,

Eamon

Great idea ! I was just about to post and ask if there would be any interest to create again a meetup in Glasgow 

@marc_p 100% there would be interest. 

I previously contract Property hub to see why they dont run a meet up in the UKs 3rd largest city (glasgow) but they said they couldn't manage it as they only really now have Property hub employees or close connections to run it. 

Happy to try and get the ball rolling on this with you and see where it goes. 

Home Equity Gains Group 

Property Investor & Developer

http://www.hegg.info ;)

https://www.instagram.com/hegg_ltd/?hl=en B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Great to see some talk about property investment in Scotland! I am just getting started with free education, podcasts and webinars, some are more informative than others but in general there is very limited information about investing in Scotland. I'll be attending my first Edinburgh PIN meeting this week and hopefully will see some of you there. I am working on a strategy with minimal personal cash as my savings are building but limited right now. I am interested in the West Lothian / Central Commuter Belt / Kilmarnock areas with an ideal business model to buy, refurbish, rent and refinance to recycle some cash. I am very interested in joint ventures and being able to flip properties down the line. My overall goal is to build a property portfolio over the next 5-10 years which will allow me to fully replace the income from my current day job. I'd be very grateful for any advice or tips.

Thanks,

Alex

• 3 months later...
On 7/2/2020 at 10:39 AM, eamonheggarty said:

Guys great so see more chat about Scotland. This Website/forums would benefit from a separate "scotland" link which i might purpose to property hub as Scotland / england are clearly different in many aspects of property and each element is dealt with. Even more evident now that the virus has came about and rules in england (opening up the property market 6 weeks early) vs scotland is totally different. 

Would anyone be interested in a general whatsapp property group maybe called "scotland property hub" were we can bounce ideas, mentor and ask any questions about the markets in scotland etc?

Happy to start it if there is some interest? 

Cheers,

Eamon

@eamonheggarty

I would certainly like to be involved in this. I have followed property hub for some time now and I find information specifically for Scotland is often hard to find. 

I currently have no properties but my strategies are simple. I am looking to buy a property below market value, which I can add value to and either sell on or re-finance and rent out. The properties I am looking for (in terms of rental) would mainly suit young professionals or families. The focus would be more aligned to a higher standard of renovation in the hope of attracting a higher sale price / long term tenant. My exit strategy would depend on the ROI and sale / rental demand in that particular area.

I have listened to endless podcasts, read the books, attended the seminars, watched the YouTube videos. The next step in my journey would be to start networking with like minded people....i.e. The Property Hub Meet Ups but Covid put a stop to that!

On a professional level I am a qualified Quantity Surveyor with 16+ years of experience. I have worked on many different projects throughout my career including many housing projects. I have a wealth of knowledge on contracts, new build & renovation projects, pricing works, cost planning, cashflow forecasts etc..

What I don't have is established contacts with estate agents, mortgage brokers, letting agents etc

I am based in South Lanarkshire and I would love to be part of a Scottish network and would happily offer my knowledge, skills and support in return!

Best Regards

Ryan

• 4 weeks later...

Ryan, 

Thanks for the message and ill certainly add you to the WhatsApp group. 

Funny enough I'm a Quantity surveyor too (7 years). Who do you work for? I've recently left Robertson construction and going down the sub contractor route now. 

Also what is your number so I can add you to the group 

Eamon 

Home Equity Gains Group 

Property Investor & Developer

http://www.hegg.info ;)

https://www.instagram.com/hegg_ltd/?hl=en B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I’m currently researching Dundee as a potential first BTL property and I’ve been reading some interesting comments on this area so far in this thread.  @eamonheggarty is there a Scotland hub WhatsApp group set up yet? And if so, I’d really appreciate joining if someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Erica

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Like many of you, I too am interested in joining the Scottish Whatsapp group.

Currently living in Aberdeen but thinking I won't invest locally due to the O&G dependence of the city.

If the Whatsapp group has been set up please give us a shout, otherwise I am happy to create one!

Cheers