Property sourcing

Hi everyone,

My name is phill from liverpool. I am a complete newbie and have been reading as much as I can across different subject matter's regarding property investment. 

So naturally next thing to do it talk to like minded people. Any information or direction that anyone can give on property sourcing E.G best place to find investors , types of properties to look for etc. Would be extremely grateful.

Kind regards.

Hi Phill,

I'm based in Liverpool.  In terms of finding investors, I'll tell you from experience that investors aren't a problem.  They are everywhere!  It's the stock, the property deals, that are in short supply.

Do you know what constitutes a good deal?  Are you able to visit a property, work out how much its defects would cost to fix, and at the end of that does it represent good value compared to the neighbours.  That's the skill you need to learn, which can only be done really by doing as many viewings as you can!  

The Liverpool Meetup takes place on the first Thursday of every month, find out more here

Hi Silv,

Thank you for the reply. I am working on the basis of "would I live there" then looking at doing some simple sums like ROI/ Yeild and then comparing with what has sold in the same street and local area, that is where I am at for the moment.

I am going to be attending the samuel leeds crash course at some point this year to get a better understand of what I want ( Is this a wise move?) please again any information would be grateful.

Kind regards,

Phill

The problem with 'would I live there' is that you'll be cutting out (random number) 70% of potential stock you could sell to investors.  Most investors don't care if they could live at this house, they just care whether the numbers stack up and whether the investment is solid and won't cause headaches.

I can't comment on Samuel Leeds courses.  From what I've seen on Youtube, these courses are very good at firing people  up and making you feel motivated... but then that motivation still needs to be there months later when you've visited your 20th property with none of your offers having been accepted yet.  In terms of content, I don't know what these courses would teach you that you can't get for free from Property Hub and other similar websites :)

Edited by Silv
typo

The Liverpool Meetup takes place on the first Thursday of every month, find out more here

16 hours ago, phill w said:

Hi Silv,

Thank you for the reply. I am working on the basis of "would I live there" then looking at doing some simple sums like ROI/ Yeild and then comparing with what has sold in the same street and local area, that is where I am at for the moment.

I am going to be attending the samuel leeds crash course at some point this year to get a better understand of what I want ( Is this a wise move?) please again any information would be grateful.

Kind regards,

Phill

Save yourself a couple of days by reading his book. That will fire you up and you'll avoid the hard sell. Then work through the university courses here to learn the detail of what to do. Rob Dix's Complete guide is also an excellent starter book, probably the best all rounder of all the ones I've read.

Podcasts - this one, Property Voice, Progressive Property, Inside Property Investing are all generally good and Goliath Sourcing is a good one for sourcing strategies, legalities, websites etc. Hundreds of hours worth of stuff across those to keep you going, so you may want it pick and choose which specific episodes to listen to.

PS Search for Samuel Leeds on Property Tribes to get an alternative view

Hi Phill - welcome to Property Hub and the world of property investment! If you're just starting out, you may want to complete some of our online courses to build your knowledge. You can also speak with a Portfolio Manager from Property Hub Invest to consider what the best strategy for you might be. There's no one way to invest in property, and ultimately your goals and circumstances will determine the best way for you to approach things.

All our content is free, and speaking with our Portfolio Managers is also free - so you can save your funds for the investments themselves!

Rachel Watts
Portfolio Manager

https://propertyhub.net/service/invest/

05_invest.png.885e12e5541e16031c719f1038a2676b.png

Rachel Watts
Portfolio Manager

https://propertyhub.net/service/invest/

05_invest.png.4f4b850c28738693115789e0cbc020a7.png

21 hours ago, Silv said:

The problem with 'would I live there' is that you'll be cutting out (random number) 70% of potential stock you could sell to investors.  Most investors don't care if they could live at this house, they just care whether the numbers stack up and whether the investment is solid and won't cause headaches.

I can't comment on Samuel Leeds courses.  From what I've seen on Youtube, these courses are very good at firing people have up and making you feel motivated... but then that motivation still needs to be there months later when you've visted your 20th property with none of your offers having been accepted yet.  In terms of content, I don't know what these courses would teach you that you can't get for free from Property Hub and other similar websites :)

Hi Silv,

Thank you for getting back to me and thank you everyone for your input. So dont work on the basis of 'would I live there' .....Ok I have taken that on board.

But as for reading articles from property hub, I am reading every night and on lunch. And its sinking in.

I just dont know where to start...Do I go start looking at properties right now or am I just wasting my time or shall I get investors on abroad then look for properties? I dont have XYZ in place. This is what is tripping me up. I need that foundation to build on.

And how would you put a property proposal together? and what info would need to be on it? I apologise for the complete novice questions they sound idiotic I know lol

Kind regards,

Phill

Hi Phill and welcome to the hub! 

Great advice above, and just to echo the sentiment if say listen to podcasts, read books and make use of all the info here in the hub. 

If you are ever in or around St Helen's, I currently work there, so would happily meet up for a chat (offer goes to anyone reading this too!). I'm trying to get more exposure to like minded property people, just to talk and bounce ideas around.

Good luck with your journey either way and let me know if I can help get you started in any way. 

Cheers

Matt 

13 hours ago, matt hall said:

Hi Phill and welcome to the hub! 

Great advice above, and just to echo the sentiment if say listen to podcasts, read books and make use of all the info here in the hub. 

If you are ever in or around St Helen's, I currently work there, so would happily meet up for a chat (offer goes to anyone reading this too!). I'm trying to get more exposure to like minded property people, just to talk and bounce ideas around.

Good luck with your journey either way and let me know if I can help get you started in any way. 

Cheers

Matt 

Hi Matt,

Yes I would be up for that at some point. Also do you have investor on your books if so where do you meet these investors? Or do you wait for them to come to you?

Kind regards,

Phill

I don't currently have investors that I work with at the moment, looking into the possibility with some family and friends but happy with how it's all going with my current strategy. 

Once I'm hitting the high tax bracket and looking into Ltd companies etc I think that's when I'll start exploring that further 

Hi Matt,

Sounds like a good plan. Almost makes me think, am I jumping the gun abit lol 

My plan is to do some sourcing. That is the only thing I can do really at this moment in time. I have very limited money to put away for a deposit.

So still looking for my next step lol

Kind regards,

Phill

Hi again Phill,

Just to help you focus.  There are a TON of investors out there, there is a short supply of good deals.  So I'm advising you to ignore whether there are investors out there, and try and find a deal. If you find one, I'm happy to be contacted and I can tell you whether my investors would like it or not.

So get off the forums, and go book several viewings for this weekend!

PS I don't know your age or career, but if you're able to, get a job at an agency.  Working in the industry will accelerate your learning.