Financial Literacy Is Key

Hi,

I am new the World of Property Investment. Having been to a Martin Robert’s ‘Making Money by Investing I’m Property at auction’ Seminar recently it got me motivated thinking time is limited the longer it takes to get into property the less time you will have for your income to be generated and properties to grow in value. 

I have started off by buying:

Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki; and

Property Investment by Rob Dix

including taking Property Hub Courses  

I am keen to get going but not keen to buy at auction due to having to have cash or bridging to pay for this in the short term before refinancing  

What do people find as the best resources to buy BMV properties?

Thanks

Graham

Hi Graham and welcome.

You have started well by finding this forum and website as it's a great source of education. I've built up my knowledge purely by reading and listening to podcasts. You'll find lots of suggestions in the forum.

I must agree that I'm not a fan of auctions, especially for newbies. It's not as easy as it seems to be on telly.

Welcome to the forum Graham.

Property sourcers are probably the easiest way to find BMV property. However, like anything, the more effort you put in yourself, the more you're likely to save. A question of time vs money and which you have more of right now

What did you think of the seminar? 

Feel free to add me on Linkedin;   https://uk.linkedin.com/in/dkidd

Thanks drkidd

The seminar is worthwhile to someone like myself starting out but was aimed more at getting people to buy further courses. The resources on property Hub far our way the info given at the seminar. 

If you were to cut out the property sourcer where do they find the deals? Advertise, talk to banks?

thanks

Just collecting resources on sourcing when I came across this thread; these might help plus some bits I've personally found valuable - 

Investing/Financial Literacy:

anything by Robert Kiyosaki - I see you have already come across Rich Dad Poor Dad

Economics by Timothy Taylor - Audible or The Great Courses (which have an outstanding breadth of audio-courses by leading professors).

--- I think economics, finance and project management should be the bedrock of anyone's investing education. Also, books by people like professors are more serious with less fluff (Rich Dad Poor Dad could be half as long without the stories), and are valuable in the sense that they are what you'd find on a university course syllabus for corporate professionals.

N.B. Be wary of some of the 'classics', I'd recommend reading summaries online first which will give you the most important points. I've wasted hours finishing books that some rave about but came to nothing - the 10X Rule being a prime example. It seems being a bestseller isn't a mark of quality these days.

Sourcing:

Mark I’Anson – Dominate Your Ground – Audible or Hardcopy

Podcast - Property Sourcing Profits – David Siegler

Property Tribes – Sourcing Guides

YouTube playlist – Arsh Ellahi – Deal Sourcing

YouTube - Property Sourcing Tips From Some of the Best in the UK

YouTube - How to Setup a SUCCESSFUL Property Sourcing Business | Property Investors Podcast #20

YouTube – Simon Zutshi on deal sourcing

YouTube – Simon Zutshi - Sourcing Deals with Landlord Letters

Property Geek Podcast Episode 58 – How to Source Property Deals

Goliath Sourcing Academy – sourcing articles page

also just found:

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/money-for-the-rest-of-us-j-david-stein-laEjMfJV-k1/  ----- "A personal finance and investing podcast on money, how it works, how to invest it and how to live without worrying about it. J. David Stein is a former Chief Investment Strategist and money manager."

Podcast – Goliath Sourcing Academy

• 2 weeks later...

@graham harvey I fully retract my statement about Robert Kiyosaki, and would put all of his books in the 'read the online summary instread' category. 

Have just finished Rich Dad's Guide to Investing - what an absolute waste of time. He was just plugging all other products and regurgitating old content with little of anything of value.