What's wrong?

Hi everyone, 

I was about to make an offer last week to a 3 bed house located in Bootle, Merseyside (the property is very close South Park) and as I don't live in Liverpool I asked a friend of mine and he basically told me that I should run away from that area, that it has a lot of bad reputation and also is not a good place to invest because of the low yield compared to other places in the city, etc, etc.. 

The thing is that I already visited and walked around the place during a couple of weeks, day, night and I don't see why I shouldn't be buying there, I really liked it. This is going to be my first investment and now I'm a bit scared, don't know what to do!!

Has anyone bought a place in Bootle recently? 

Thanks!

Hi Esteban, 

I’m from Liverpool and although I don’t live in Bootle I know plenty of places around the city as my day job takes me to many of them. I also know a few people who do live in Bootle (one friend who already has a couple of properties there). 

Bootle may get a bit of bad press from people who think they know the area, but let’s be honest, and I’m a scouser saying this so it’s allowed, the whole of Liverpool has had bad press over the years and people still invest and do extremely well here.

I’ll soon be looking to buy my first investment property, and Bootle is definitely on my list of places to buy.

A friend of mine was selling his home in Bootle and his estate agent told him as soon as he put it on the market that it would be someone from Bootle who bought it, and it was. When he asked how he knew, his estate agent replied ‘people from outside Bootle may not want to come and live in Bootle, but people from Bootle don’t want to live anywhere else’.

From what I know and the research I’ve done I’d say he wasn’t far wrong. In my opinion there will always be people looking to rent there, and if you can grab a bargain I’m sure you won’t regret it over time.

Hope this helps.

Paul

On 8/3/2019 at 4:16 PM, paul thompson said:

Hi Esteban, 

I’m from Liverpool and although I don’t live in Bootle I know plenty of places around the city as my day job takes me to many of them. I also know a few people who do live in Bootle (one friend who already has a couple of properties there). 

Bootle may get a bit of bad press from people who think they know the area, but let’s be honest, and I’m a scouser saying this so it’s allowed, the whole of Liverpool has had bad press over the years and people still invest and do extremely well here.

I’ll soon be looking to buy my first investment property, and Bootle is definitely on my list of places to buy.

A friend of mine was selling his home in Bootle and his estate agent told him as soon as he put it on the market that it would be someone from Bootle who bought it, and it was. When he asked how he knew, his estate agent replied ‘people from outside Bootle may not want to come and live in Bootle, but people from Bootle don’t want to live anywhere else’.

From what I know and the research I’ve done I’d say he wasn’t far wrong. In my opinion there will always be people looking to rent there, and if you can grab a bargain I’m sure you won’t regret it over time.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Thanks Paul for your words, if everything goes well this week I'll be making an offer for a house there..

Fingers crossed!!

I live next to Bootle. Some parts are worse than others like everywhere but it is ok on the whole. I think they were looking to put some money into the shopping centre there which is badly needed to be honest. Plus, it is really close to the major development that is planned for that part of Liverpool.

Hi Esteban,

There are some fabulous investments in Liverpool and some excellent help-to-buy schemes.  I am looking at purchasing a buy to let in the Docklands area as they are going for a song, still.  However, I should think you could get a real bargain in Bootle, and to be honest, you can't really go wrong going by the level of investment into the area in general.  If it's your first project, then start small and you'll be fine.

Good luck.