james eustace

Vacant property, but can a tenancy be ended early to clean and redecorate?

My student tenants have vacated 3 months before the end of their tenancy.  The property has been left in need of cleaning and redecoration, which would be claimable from their deposit.  As the tenancy is still running, I haven't yet done a check out report to validate a deposit claim.  However, I also cannot conduct viewings for future prospective tenants due to the condition of the property.

The property needs to be redecorated and cleaned professionally before anyone will sign up.  The concern is that if the redecorating and cleaning are started before the tenancy ends, then this will forfeit any claim on the deposit. 

Can the tenancy be ended now in order to get the check out report completed early?  Can the tenants confirm the property is vacant so the process can be started?

Has anyone got any experience or advice on what to do in this situation?  Thanks in advance.

Hi James 

Student let's are normally 10 months long for this reason but you probably know that now! 

Think this comes down to whether they have formally abandoned the property or not. Having not been through this myself I'm unsure of the legal mechanism to prove this. If you're a member of a landlords association they usually have a helpline you could seek advice from. 

This doesn't stop you advertising the property, if anything you can use feedback to improve your product offering. To get it let may require a bit more salesmanship, if you have some photos of the property before that you can use in your marketing this may help.

Cheers 

Paul