Maisonette 1st floor

We are in the process of buying a first floor maisonette. In a block of about 8 purpose built in the 80's.

Ground rent £25pa. No service charge. 

The block does not have any communal areas. Each has its own front door. 

I'm lead to believe ground floor is responsible for issues with footings etc. First floor for roof etc. 

My solicitor is making a big issues of there being no group insurance. "WHAT IF THE GROUND FLOOR BURNS DOWN AND THEY DON'T HAVE INSURANCE?" 

We would always have insurance but his response is "WHAT WOULD THEY BUILD IT ON, STILTS?" 

There are hundreds of these maisonettes it can't be that big of an issue? 

Anyone in the insurance business advise me please. 

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

Sorry for the late reply, but in case other people are in this situation.

Does the property come with a lease? Is it leasehold? If so, what does the lease say regarding insurance?

Your solicitor is right, he/she is acting in your interest and the interest of your mortgage company (if you are using one).

https://www.linkedin.com/in/conrad-paton-424446110

Find me here ^^

Conrad Paton

Conrad Paton

+44 7957 959851

conradpaton@yahoo.co.uk

Hi all

If there is a lease? That was my first question. Freehold flats or apartments DO exist, but I personally would not buy one for the legal problems outlined by the OP's solicitor.

You cannot get conventional lending on a Freehold miasonette, flat or apartment for the exact reasons that the OP's solicitor has outlined.

Know what you are buying into.

Conrad Paton

Conrad Paton

+44 7957 959851

conradpaton@yahoo.co.uk

• 8 months later...
On 10/27/2019 at 12:16 PM, siruskey said:

Got sorted in the end. Taken an extra insurance policy to cover the what if situation. The lease says you must all have your own insurance etc. 

Hi, I'm in a similar situation so it would be great to know who you used in the end that was happy to add this extra on to the policy? My seller has mentioned an indemnity policy so just looking at the options

I have a maisonette in Scotland where most properties are freehold. It’s on a buy to let mortgage and never had a problem getting a mortgage. Normally both properties are jointly responsible for foundations and roof. As my maisonette includes an attic conversion, I now have sole responsibility for the roof. 

Insurance wise, we have the tenements act which means when requested an owner had 14 days to supply a copy of their property insurance. My insurance is due for renewal in 2 weeks and once renewed, I’ll send a copy to my downstairs neighbour and request a copy of theirs. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 3:52 PM, knotts8 said:

Hi, I'm in a similar situation so it would be great to know who you used in the end that was happy to add this extra on to the policy? My seller has mentioned an indemnity policy so just looking at the options

Apologies, I had no idea this had new comments. I suspect it will be of no use now but if your still interested I can did the policy out? It cost next to nothing on the grand scale of things.