hotspur92

Restoring a two bed flat above a Commerical shop.

Was just hoping anyone would have any ideas or thoughts on a recent project I’ve taken on. 

I purchased a town house (free hold) which is currently being used as a hairdressers on the ground floor (which I rent out) and have recently gained planning for converting the 1st floor and 2nd floor into one big 2 bed apartment. 

I thought this would be the best way to go with the property, however having building regs around and various builders, didn’t realise how much I would need to spend on fire boards, acoustic material, fire doors etc for both floors. This is due to it being above a shop. So what would have been a simple 15-20k restoration is actually looking like 40-50k due to all these regs. 

Any thoughts on this ? Are builders quoting to high for the job or should I move in another direction? 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Ollie

On 8/15/2019 at 4:37 PM, hotspur92 said:

Was just hoping anyone would have any ideas or thoughts on a recent project I’ve taken on. 

I purchased a town house (free hold) which is currently being used as a hairdressers on the ground floor (which I rent out) and have recently gained planning for converting the 1st floor and 2nd floor into one big 2 bed apartment. 

I thought this would be the best way to go with the property, however having building regs around and various builders, didn’t realise how much I would need to spend on fire boards, acoustic material, fire doors etc for both floors. This is due to it being above a shop. So what would have been a simple 15-20k restoration is actually looking like 40-50k due to all these regs. 

Any thoughts on this ? Are builders quoting to high for the job or should I move in another direction? 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Ollie

Unfortunately the regs for flats are very strict and acoustics/safety etc are all mandatory so if you want 2 flats then you ar egoing to have to get it done. In the long run the xtra 20k will not feel like too much so I would go ahead personally. Otherwise you are into renting as a single let to multiple people/family