voogie

pros and cons of leaving/ not leaving side access

Hi all, I hope you're making good progress in your property journeys. I'm doing a double storey side extension to one of my properties and trying to work out the pros and cons of leaving/ not leaving side access to the enclosed rear garden. It's a fairly small gravelled rear garden. Is it better overall to have the extra space in the extension with no side access or have less space in the extension with side access left available? I would love to hear your arguments for and against.

Planning depts ofetn insist on a side entrance so if you have got past that then its an interesting question. Personally if it was my house then I would keep a side entrance but for a rental then its a different story. The main thing i would look at is the size of the extension. If you can have a deecnt size extension and keep the side entrance then thats the best result. If the side entrance makes teh extension width too small (<3m) then you probbaly need to give up the side entrance. Obviously you need to check all the usual planning regs about 45 degree and 50% of teh width of the house etc to see what will get through the system.

My personal opinion would be to maximise the space on the extension. I feel having side access is only used for the bins!

Keep us informed

best wishes

Jase

It would make taking anything through to the garden a pain as it would have to come through the house. As long as you can cope with this it isn't a problem - but do run through all the senarios you might encounter - more gravel, new fencing, kids toys etc.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:38 AM, snookjas said:

My personal opinion would be to maximise the space on the extension. I feel having side access is only used for the bins!

Keep us informed

best wishes

Jase

If you are happy Jase, to wheel your bins through the house to the front every week then that's fine. I suspect that others may welcome the ability to wheel them through a side access. 

23 minutes ago, dennis hughes said:

If you are happy Jase, to wheel your bins through the house to the front every week then that's fine. I suspect that others may welcome the ability to wheel them through a side access. 

Or put a nice wheelie bin storage unit in the front or your property. I was just saying Dennis, that was my “personal” opinion due to the space inside the property\extention I would use a lot more then walk a bin up and down the side of the property.

But yes you have a valid point!