Hi. My wife and I live in a small village in Berkshire. It is a conservation area in green belt and on the flood plane. We refurbed and extended our house 3 years ago and when Planning Permission was granted at that time, they took away our permitted development rights and said no more building would be allowed. We knew that a garage would not be allowed so we applied for a wooden car port, six oak posts, open on all four sides for the flood plane and with a pitched tiled roof to match the house. Neighbours complained it was too high and too big, even though it was smaller than all their brick double garages and can hardly be seen from the small lane we live on. We were refused permission on grounds of ‘inappropriate development in green belt’.

We reduced the height to 3 metres and reapplied and again recently refused on the same grounds. The parish councillors had no objection and it passed flood plane requirements etc.

We plan to now go to appeal. The inspector will see all our neighbours have garages ,also in green belt. I want to buy two small electric cars and need a cover for them and charging points also under cover. Do you think this would carry any weight ?  And, any other advice would be appreciated.

David