christuc

To replace double glazing or not?

Hi all, 

A property I viewed yesterday for a flip has perfectly serviceable double glazing, but it's old. Ie it's thinner than modern stuff and has exposed rubber lip inside/out where the glazing unit is held in place. 

Now I would knock through the kitchen to diner which would require the wooden back door removing and bricking up with a d/g window taking its place, so a modern one. Also the sliding patio door I'd replace with French doors which both open out on to the garden. 

What's the consensus on replacing the old double glazing as it adds a chunk of cash to the refurb? 

Hi Christuc,

The simple and only correct answer is will new replacement double glazing increase the value of the property by its installation cost as a minimum? If so put them in.

Or to put another way, you have an end/finished valuation of the property? If so, will your buyers be expecting to see new windows for that price?

If so, put them in....if you cant afford them, think of things your potential buyers wont be expecting for that price and Dont do that work instead.

The only way you are going to know this is if you get quotes to replace the windows etc and do your homework, research and maths.

As you havent purchased the property  getting quoted may involve taking dimensions of the units you want to replace and telling the glazing companies the sizes.

New Upvc windows can vary a great deal in price, from budget casement windows to sash style. Just try and not get the people like safestyle UK round. ( I recieved a quote for Upvc windows once from them for £23k lol!)

Hope this helps a bit? 

Conrad

Conrad Paton

+44 7957 959851

conradpaton@yahoo.co.uk

https://www.linkedin.com/in/conrad-paton-424446110

Thanks for the reply Conrad, I agree with your thoughts having been thinking about this last night, I have researched prices along with the other works required and will make an informed decision which will be reflected in my offer, 

Thanks again! 

Hello again Christoc,

You're very welcome.

If you are thinking of making an offer, find and connect with me on LinkedIn and I'm happy to share with you my offer template for investment properties.

In essence email, NOT PHONE the agent or auction house with your offer and I'll give you the wording.

Even if your offer is not accepted ( I cannot guarantee it obvs), you will shuffle up the estate agents developer call list, when they get another similar property ( this I'm certain of ).

CONRAD PATON

Conrad Paton

+44 7957 959851

conradpaton@yahoo.co.uk

The financial bottom line has been answered, and whilst I don’t disagree where the figures will likely point; there is a bigger picture that’s not so black and white.  

Time in securing a sale can quite quickly overcome capitol expenditure; where replacement glazing may bump this to a better EPC category, offer a transferable guarantee to the purchaser, demonstrate energy saving in their occupation for x-years, and justify breaking/reaching the streets highest valuation.  Added to environmental benefits, if you specify laminate and/or PAS24 and you are hitting security standards/improvements as well.   All of this can speed up a sale; as when I view a development with ad hoc renewal I immediate assume corners have been cut elsewhere, start to look closer, and prompt the question as to whether or not a survey is required with a view to negotiating.   

Hi again,

On 12/23/2019 at 1:18 PM, alastairkennedy said:

Time in securing a sale can quite quickly overcome capitol expenditure; where replacement glazing may bump this to a better EPC category, offer a transferable guarantee to the purchaser, demonstrate energy saving in their occupation for x-years, and justify breaking/reaching the streets highest valuation.

alastair can you explain how replacement double glazing will justify breaking the highest valuation in the street, given the valuation process that mortgage surveyors use please?

Thanks

Conrad

Conrad Paton

+44 7957 959851

conradpaton@yahoo.co.uk

Conrad

I'm no valuer.  If a property sells at a market value of X, there would have to be reason a for a mortgage surveyor to not endorse market sentiment.  DG alone is very unlikely to justify the streets highest valuation, and thats not what I’d intended to suggest.

A desirable property maximises opportunity; environmental performance is and will become more important (how long before EPC factors into council tax, or other levy, or enhanced ADL requirement); new glazing, upgraded insulation, AS/GSHP, and PV can all sway interest as most purchasers view it as an investment. 

Hope that helps explain my train of thought. Alastair. 

On 10/17/2019 at 11:20 AM, conrad_paton said:

Hello again Christoc,

You're very welcome.

If you are thinking of making an offer, find and connect with me on LinkedIn and I'm happy to share with you my offer template for investment properties.

In essence email, NOT PHONE the agent or auction house with your offer and I'll give you the wording.

Even if your offer is not accepted ( I cannot guarantee it obvs), you will shuffle up the estate agents developer call list, when they get another similar property ( this I'm certain of ).

CONRAD PATON

Hi Conrad,

I'd be interested in your offer template, if you are ok to share i'll drop you a DM with my email address?

Thanks

Nick

On 10/17/2019 at 11:20 AM, conrad_paton said:

Hello again Christoc,

You're very welcome.

CONRAD PATON

Conrad it would be great to get this template as well if possible. Looking at an auction property I would like to put an offer in before auction and see if I can get it withdrawn. Will send you a linked in request!

Thanks

Ben 

Hi Conrad, I have also dropped you a linked in request if you would be happy to share your offer template with me too please? Many thanks