So I'm looking at a potential commercial unit investment (Class A1 - Shops) which is currently vacant and in need of a facelift (ceiling & wall plastering, re-flooring, wiring etc). I'm keen to know what the 'minimum standard' is for refurbing commercial units of this sort before bringing them to market?

E.g. is it similar to residential: flooring, walls, plumbing, electrics, etc all done- or is there more that would be expected from a potential commercial tenant (e.g. outside shutters, alarm systems, aisles, counters, etc)?

Any knowledge resources/articles would be most welcome! Thanks

Anthony Gosling
WG Estates | Property Investor
www.wgestatesuk.com

Generally less. A retailer will wish to refurbish the space to suit their needs (Likely only front of house), and the lease can be written to ensure it is put into a good state of repair and returned as such.  you just need to be clear as to where liabilities fall, full repair or internal only, etc. A reduced rent/rent free period would not be unexpected when a tenant takes on refurbishment. 

Thank you this is helpful. So to be specific, as it stands the walls are unplastered and the floor is bare wood. I was thinking to plaster the walls & paint white, and leave the floor- I guess no point laminating/laying down anything, only for a tenant to decide they want something completely different and tear it all up a month later! Does that sound sensible?

Anthony Gosling
WG Estates | Property Investor
www.wgestatesuk.com

I’d be wary of doing too much, change of use may not be out of the question past A1 to broaden the base of potential tenants. That said, a shell awaiting only paint and floor coverings with racking / display will be significantly more welcoming for someone seeking to setup and trade quickly (ie: plastered / screed are unlikely to be abortive).  Whether you do this or indicate via the agent that you can do it prior to let is an option.