wookash

Business in my own garage

Hi everyone!

I'm considering purchasing a residential property with the garage (semi-detached or detached). The garage is crucial here because I would like to open a business in the garage (car repairs, garage). Perhaps extending the garage by sacrificing bigger portion of the garden to have more space. I'm thinking about having LTD company for my business and renting the garage space for commercial purposes from myself.

I'm not sure whether this is possible... Hopefully you might bring some light into this topic. Thanks!

Hi wookash,

I would approach the local authority planning dept and run your ideas past them.

It may be classed as a change of use ( from residential to commercial) and require planning permission.

The local authority in the area you intend to buy are best to ask rather than an open forum such as this, as the consequences of following public advice that is incorrect could cost you thousands.

I'm pretty sure it wont be allowed or everybody in the car repair business would be setting up businesses from their own residential garages and driveways.

It much better to be safe than sorry in this instance.

Sorry I cant help more

Conrad

Conrad Paton

+44 7957 959851

conradpaton@yahoo.co.uk

https://www.linkedin.com/in/conrad-paton-424446110

13 minutes ago, conrad_paton said:

Hi wookash,

I would approach the local authority planning dept and run your ideas past them.

It may be classed as a change of use ( from residential to commercial) and require planning permission.

The local authority in the area you intend to buy are best to ask rather than an open forum such as this, as the consequences of following public advice that is incorrect could cost you thousands.

I'm pretty sure it wont be allowed or everybody in the car repair business would be setting up businesses from their own residential garages and driveways.

It much better to be safe than sorry in this instance.

Sorry I cant help more

Conrad

Thank you for prompt reply. I will take a precaution and speak with local authority for sure. I was just wondering if any of forum members have some ideas or thoughts about it. Thanks!

Hi again,

Check the title register as well. Even if your local authority say it is ok, you may find restrictive covenants on the register or transfer document (if applicable) that restricts 'commercial activity' or 'business use'.

If you find something on the register I can help you with an interpretation. Just let me know.

Also, check with any mortgage lenders as they may take a view on letting part of the property to a business.

Lastly, I'd look at your potential neighbours of the garage. Will they put up with the constant noise and smells a car workshop can generate?

Find me here ^^

Conrad

Conrad Paton

+44 7957 959851

conradpaton@yahoo.co.uk