Jump to content

Buying a house with a tenant currently in

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I'm about to buy a house with a tenant currently living there. He is paying no where near market rates as his mate owns the house. 
I have said that I would be happy for him to stay but that we would have to go onto a rolling 6 month contract and he would have to pay the going rate.

I haven't heard anything back yet, but the current owner has suggested his tenant wouldn't be able to afford the going rate.

I don't think the tenant is currently contracted either so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what the process should be?


Share this post

Link to post

Hi kid,

First thing is to ensure that the tenant is staying there under an AST.

If you are not sure what an AST is 


Gives ^^ you an an idea.

If on an AST even with no paperwork, you serve tenant section 48 notice upon completion, then if you wish, normal eviction processes can start.


Speak to these guys ^^ or other solicitors that deal only in tenant/landlord issues, notices and evictions.

Nothing to worry yourself over...happens everyday.

Hope this helps


Conrad Paton

+44 7957 959851




Share this post

Link to post

Hi kiddtom

Best bet would be to go through your solicitor and get them to check if the tenant is on a AST.  If they're on one, then you'll need to check the terms and when it's due to expire to enable you to get them to sign up to a new one at market rates.

If they're not, then they may need to vacate when the keys are handed over as they may be considered just a lodger within their mate's house under the rent-a-room scheme. If they want to stay, then I suggest getting all new paperwork, referencing etc. done. 

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now