Megan Farrow

What are your goals for 2020?

If you're an avid listener of The Property Podcast and Ask Rob & Rob, or you've looked at all the resources on our website, you'll know that we're all about goal setting! 

Rob & Rob LOVE discussing this topic and can't stress enough how important it is to have goals to work towards. 

So now, we want to hear what your goals are for 2020. Plus, with your permission, we could be asking you to feature your goal strategy in an upcoming issue of our magazine. 

All's we need from you is to answer these three simple questions: 

1. What are your property goals for 2020?

2. How has goal-setting helped you achieve your property ambitions so far?

3. What's your best tip for making sure you stick to your goals?

We look forward to hearing all about your goals and property journey.

Megan Farrow
Marketing Executive

www.propertyhub.net

01_original.png

My property goals for this year are:

1. Turn my flat into a SA.
  2. Put down a mortgage for a 2nd property with a joint venture and turn it into a HMO.
  3. Remortgage the flat to pull out 75% equity to invest in 2021.

My property goal is to actually get on the property ladder with my girlfriend. It's so difficult taking everything into consideration is stressful! Hopefully the hardwork will pay off in the long run.

My property goal is to buy my first rental property, whether this be as a sole investor or joint venture.

I also want to assist multiple other people finance their rental properties (already supported a couple of people so far in the new year). I am a commercial finance broker.

1. To identify a property and made good to rent, using no-to-little leverage, with a budget of £190,000 or less. This will also need to be a property I can move into (in due course) if the need arises.
  2. Goal setting, and the focus it provides, is essential to move forward - I very much had the acquisition of a previous property as a goal, and the ownership put me in a far better financial position now than I can imagine otherwise.
  3. Some mix of jeopardy and reward seem to be essential, a whip and carrot. Theoretically I’d far prefer something closer to homeostasis, a work-life-balance: daily jogs, meditation, reflection with friends over a pint, and a couple of hours to steer the empire. Unfortunately, it seems that a large dose of fear and monomaniac-immersion achieve goals in my experience. I guess property investment automatically contains a whip and carrot for average folks, in the form of significant potential capital loss or gain - I think this is enough incentive (and hopefully still leaves room for the occasional jog and pint).

(err… a bit more wordy than everyone else to date, sorry.)

On 1/27/2020 at 11:41 AM, alex-bond said:

My property goals for this year are:

1. Turn my flat into a SA.
  2. Put down a mortgage for a 2nd property with a joint venture and turn it into a HMO.
  3. Remortgage the flat to pull out 75% equity to invest in 2021.

This sounds really interesting Alex. How are you getting on? 

On 1/28/2020 at 11:35 AM, ntipp said:

My property goal is to actually get on the property ladder with my girlfriend. It's so difficult taking everything into consideration is stressful! Hopefully the hardwork will pay off in the long run.

Hi Ntipp,

It can certainly feel daunting at times. Have you considered the governments Help to Buy scheme? This is a great way potentially for people with small deposits to get on to the property ladder. 

I wish you well

Scott

On 1/28/2020 at 9:15 PM, elliottboreham said:

My property goal is to buy my first rental property, whether this be as a sole investor or joint venture.

I also want to assist multiple other people finance their rental properties (already supported a couple of people so far in the new year). I am a commercial finance broker.

Hi Elliott,

How are getting on? It’s certainly an interesting time being a broker at the moment!

KR

Scott

On 2/1/2020 at 2:50 PM, paulhodge said:
  1. To identify a property and made good to rent, using no-to-little leverage, with a budget of £190,000 or less. This will also need to be a property I can move into (in due course) if the need arises.
  2. Goal setting, and the focus it provides, is essential to move forward - I very much had the acquisition of a previous property as a goal, and the ownership put me in a far better financial position now than I can imagine otherwise.
  3. Some mix of jeopardy and reward seem to be essential, a whip and carrot. Theoretically I’d far prefer something closer to homeostasis, a work-life-balance: daily jogs, meditation, reflection with friends over a pint, and a couple of hours to steer the empire. Unfortunately, it seems that a large dose of fear and monomaniac-immersion achieve goals in my experience. I guess property investment automatically contains a whip and carrot for average folks, in the form of significant potential capital loss or gain - I think this is enough incentive (and hopefully still leaves room for the occasional jog and pint).

(err… a bit more wordy than everyone else to date, sorry.)

Hi Paul,

I enjoyed your post. How are you getting on with the carrot and whip? I hope you’ve found a nice balance!

Scott

On 2/5/2020 at 9:29 AM, maureenowaters said:

My goal is to collect some information about property and spread out my real estate business world-wide.

Hi Maureen,

What a fantastic goal. Which destinations are on your list?

Scott

On 4/13/2020 at 12:19 PM, hannaomar said:

My main goal for 2020 is to survive this Pandemic.

Hi Hanna,

I hope you do! There’s going to be lots of opportunities at the end of this, you just need to be ready to take them. 

I wish you well. 

Scott

24 minutes ago, scotty d said:

Hi Paul,

I enjoyed your post. How are you getting on with the carrot and whip? I hope you’ve found a nice balance!

Scott

Hmmm... it's all gone a little lock-down. I think with question 3, what's your best tip for making sure you stick to your goals, I went too self-help-text-book answer - I can easily smell the carrots but always find it hard to whip myself towards them. I guess it's about focus and at the moment that's all over the place, well as much as my budget will allow ;) The balance is currently skewed in favor of procrastination and indecision I hate to report, but thank you for asking :)

I'm a bit late to the party, but my goals (for life and property) for the next 12 months (as a stepping stone to a much larger decade long strategy) are:

1. Bring in £100 a month stipend to support and improve the lives of my parents.
  2. Buy my first BTL.
  3. Identified how I can do a PhD that enables me to give back to the future generations - artificial intelligence for climate change?
  4. Identified the Universities and people that I would most like to work with.
  5. Have a stipend of £200 a month (on average) to travel around the country on, looking for new properties and generally going on some adventures.

I'm quite new to goal setting but it's been really helpful in making think about the scope of my purpose, and what is actually achievable, aswell as actually making it tangable by placing a number on things!

Like Leon I'm a bit late with a reply to this. I'm in the building trade and have been back working since the end of April, when the merchants started to reopen really. It's been crazy busy getting things going and having to be organised well in advance because of the delays on materials so haven't had much time to get on for a read.

Like a lot of people the lockdown was a great time to organise my property goals and I've set out a clear ten year goal.

1. This year I'm looking to add one BTL to our portfolio (which I'm in the process of purchasing) and also add one property in the North West to work on capital growth over the coming years as a minimum. And should the funds allow it I'd like to add a second BTL in wales.

2. I had an idea of what I wanted to achieve but didn't have clear goals until the lockdown freed up a lot of my time. Setting clear goals has really focused us on what we're trying to achieve and has got us to set out more of a system where we're clear what responsibilities are mine and which ones are my sisters (my business partner). Being busy running a little building company makes it difficult to fully focus on property and work so I've realised to achieve our goals I need to stop penny pinching and delegate more of the maintenance jobs.

3. Delegate the little things so you can focus on the important things, that way you don't risk burning out trying to do everything and thus losing motivation. I've also got my one year, five year and ten year goals written on the first page I see every time I open my work diary and note book which is good reminder and great motivation to work hard now to be comfortable later.

On 6/22/2020 at 4:42 PM, Leon- said:

I'm a bit late to the party, but my goals (for life and property) for the next 12 months (as a stepping stone to a much larger decade long strategy) are:

1. Bring in £100 a month stipend to support and improve the lives of my parents.
  2. Buy my first BTL.
  3. Identified how I can do a PhD that enables me to give back to the future generations - artificial intelligence for climate change?
  4. Identified the Universities and people that I would most like to work with.
  5. Have a stipend of £200 a month (on average) to travel around the country on, looking for new properties and generally going on some adventures.

I'm quite new to goal setting but it's been really helpful in making think about the scope of my purpose, and what is actually achievable, aswell as actually making it tangable by placing a number on things!

You are going to do a phd in artificial intelligence for climate change?