Can I claim my refurb as a revenue expense?

Please can someone help!

I am in the process of buying my first property through my new ltd company. My guess is it will complete in 6 weeks or so. It is a 3 bed property that will be a single let. 

The property is perfectly habitable now and could easily be rented out as it is, however I want to do a fairly big refurb. E.g. replacing the kitchen and bathroom, new carpets, redecorate etc. This will mostly be a like-for-like refurb and I don't think the majority of it will count as a capital expense. 

If I do this work before I first put tenants in, am I right in understanding that I cannot claim this work as an expense as it involves getting the property ready to be let. However if I put tenants in first, then when they leave I decide to do the refurb, I now could claim this as an expense as the "rental business" would have already started. Have I got that right?

My big question is...

*What is the minimum period of time I would have to have a tenant in my property before I could class any replacement refurb work as a revenue expense?*

If I rent the property out on a 1 week AST, then do a big refurb, clearly this will turn some heads with HMRC. So what is the magic number? 1 month? 6 months?

I hope I can get some wise responses on this. Many thanks!

My understanding is that that would be revenue, as the property is lettable and you're not adding to it e.g. extending it. There was a couple of cases with HMRC from after WWII related to a cinema and a boat - worth having a read, but I'd say you've got a cinema

Hi, I'm in a similar situation but wanted to know if the revenue expenses go across tax years? I've spent ~£5k on a like for like refurb but won't be let out till January now and rent will only be £6.5k. Can I only claim that allowance this tax year or can I use some next tax year too?

• 1 month later...