jonnyboy

Best place for a kitchen for refurb

Hi

I'm planning a refurb of a property in a few weeks...provided the purchase goes through. I've seen some talk about Howdens kitchens and Selco but not sure what is the best options. I don't want to spend loads of money on the kitchen as it will be a rental but I do want it to look good for a revalue after 6 months.

Any advice on where to go? 

Thanks
Jon

Hi,

Selco kitchens (off the shelf) are great value for money. Their range that you have to order in are fantastic but Selco have a real supply chain problem. You never get anything you want in one go, pieces are missing/damaged and the delivery is always incomplete.

Off the shelf range is good and there is no waiting about. You can either pre order or just go pick up. You can always ask for a further discount!

Howdens I have never used, due to their 'membership' requirements....it just seems a bit long winded to me.

Benchmark would be the next place I will be looking at to purchase my next 'trade' kitchen from.

Hope this helps.

Conrad Paton

Conrad Paton

+44 7957 959851

conradpaton@yahoo.co.uk

https://www.linkedin.com/in/conrad-paton-424446110

Hi there 

Where abouts in the uk are you ? I have a contact at howdens, well worth speaking to if you are northwest england based 

Very good, the best thing I can suggest is go in and explain you are refurbing a btl and ask if they have any deals or end of line stock, my experience with howdens they have lots (and I mean lots) of end of line stock they have to get rid off in branches. Having this stock on there books at certain times of year effects there bonus for that branch so in some cases I have watched them physically dump decent stock in skips, Madness !!! 

The point being I have had contacts and myself get new kitchen units or recently new doors that should of been £45+vat each for say £6 cost just  to get rid. Be cheeky and go in and say I want some end of line kitchen units doors what ever cheap, I bet they will entertain you. 

On 11/26/2019 at 9:53 AM, conrad_paton said:

Howdens I have never used, due to their 'membership' requirements....it just seems a bit long winded to me.

The membership requirements are simply that you are a trade or have a company? If you do not have a company, your builder or kitchen fitter should be able to buy the bits for you

I have used Howdens on all of my properties bar my first one. I find that the sheer volume of different trade counters means that availability is never an issue. You can also request if you want your units rigid or flat pack; flat pack taking more time to assemble but saving you money.

Whoever you choose, if you are planing on buying more properties in future then it is a good idea to standardise and stick with one supplier. Not only could your loyalty earn you greater discounts, but it makes it very easy should you ever come to damage or replace anything. 

For example a B&Q door wont fit a Howdens carcass without some tweaking. So by standardising with just one supplier, should you have any breakages or need to update, very little thought needs to go into which kitchen you put into which house. 

I was very fortunate with one of my houses I bought as there was a very old and dated Howdens kitchen already fitted. I was able to replace all the doors and end panels completely modernising the kitchen for a fraction of the cost of replacing the entire kitchen

Feel free to add me on Linkedin;   https://uk.linkedin.com/in/dkidd

Hi, I went to speak to Howdens and they talked about how all their fittings are the same pretty much so if in future you want to change doors then you don't need to buy new carcasses.

We're going for the rigid ones as the time saving is worth it. 

Another vote for LNPG and magnet. Pre-built and soft closes are standard. Best of all, no haggling. Howdens annoy me that you can always knock them down more. I want best price first time. 

Used howdens many times, they are not the cheapest but not the most expensive. Just average.

However its quick and convenient.... I think ive seen 'trade kitchen packs' which is literally a kitchen ready to go on a pallet for very little money. Not the nicest but would do for a rental.

12 hours ago, dennis hughes said:

I just hate comments like this.

I stand by my words, a new basic cheap kitchen fitted well will do.  On a sliding scale of 1-10 they just aren't the nicest. Fact. Theres nothing at all wrong in that. You get £60k kitchens, then you get £600 kitchens.