Jump to content

Council Tax


Recommended Posts

Hi there,

  • My home is currently empty as it is undergoing refurbishment
  • The council no longer offer an empty property council tax discount
  • I am not sure if I am at the correct tax band
  • I saw that Martin Lewis recently advised that we can check this online and that many¬†homes are not on the correct tax band

My query is that if I am at a lower band than I should be and wish to apply for the single person discount (25%), would doing so put me at risk of being being put in a higher band?

Thank you.

Link to post
  • 5 weeks later...

Probably not - I think you have to specifically ask for a rebanding exercise.

However - if you are not actually living in it you may not be entitled to the single persons discount.

Also, ensure you have the correct house insurance - most standard policies do not cover empty houses or house undergoing renovations.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...