goslingl12

Is my agent allowed to make these deductions?

Hi need some advice re agent charges...

I bought my flat new build and as part of the purchase I was given 0% agency fees for the first 12months (tenant moved in in January last year).

The tenant ended their tenancy early and moved out in December (after 11 months). However they did not pay their December rent.

The agent therefore deducted December's rent from the deposit which they've only just released back to me now. I saw however that they'd deducted their fee from this.

When I queried this they advised that because the payment was released to me now (despite it being for December's rent), they are entitled to their fee as 12months have now elapsed.

Are they allowed to do this? Are they allowed to make deductions from a deposit? I'd really appreciate advice on this

Anthony Gosling
WG Estates | Property Investor
www.wgestatesuk.com

Hi

59 minutes ago, goslingl12 said:

The tenant ended their tenancy early and moved out in December (after 11 months). However they did not pay their December rent.

The agent therefore deducted December's rent from the deposit which they've only just released back to me now. I saw however that they'd deducted their fee from this.

Read your agreement with the agent. What does it say in regards to the time period of free fees?

You say when the tenant moved in, but when did your agreement start and finish with the zero fees option?

Conrad

Conrad Paton

+44 7957 959851

conradpaton@yahoo.co.uk

https://www.linkedin.com/in/conrad-paton-424446110