Property Hub Live...

When I first saw the announcement for PHL, I was really excited to attend Property Hub’s biggest meet-up to date. With such a high level of anticipation, I am sure I wasn’t the only one to be extremely disappointed to see the details of the event published over the last 2 days.

I felt hosting the event in London has alientanted a large proportion of northern based hubbers, who listen to the podcast every week. Surely somewhere more accessible, such as Birmingham, would have been more appropriate for the majority of listeners?! 
Secondly, the cost!!! When I saw this morning that tickets would cost over £100 per attendee, I gasped. Despite hearing so much advice from Rob and Rob (particularly during their chat with Mike Winnet) about paying over the odds for property events, having to pay over £100 for a property hub event was the last thing I expected, but it seems PH is now as much about the profits  as it is the content.

when you combine the logistical bias, the cost of travel, and the cost of tickets, I have to say I am extremely disappointed with Property Hub. This was not what I expected and I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way. 

Hi Krisd

I’m sorry to hear you’re disappointed with our recent announcements. Although I appreciate you publicly sharing your concerns as others may feel the same.

I’ll address your points individually so hopefully this will help you understand what we’ve done why we’ve done it.

1. Our first event is in London as this is where a large proportion of our audience is - this is based on our stats and research. However we won’t be leaving our northern Hubbers behind as we’ll be holding an event in the north later on in the year.

2. To put on an event of this size and quality takes time, money and effort. We’ve been very open on our events page about us making a loss (the ticket sales will simply offset some of the venue and refreshment costs which alone is costing more than £35,000!) but I don’t care that it will end up costing us money as I am sure the value attendees will have throughout the day will be invaluable. 

Hopefully now you can see Property Hub Live isn’t driven by profit, it’s driven by quality content and the experience we want Hubbers to have when they join us. We’ve always been clear that not all events should be tarred with the same brush (as we’ve done here: https://youtu.be/3yRknejXNDc) and we’ve made the whole agenda publicly available (prior to the launch of tickets) for people to digest and make a decision whether to join us or not. 

Although financially this event is a terrible business decision, I am sure that will be offset by the fact we can get together with 400 Hubbers together celebrate being property investors and have a really positive experience, something that is more far important than money.

I hope this answers some of your questions and hopefully the feedback after the event will help you make the decision of whether to join us at our northern one later in the year and don’t worry if you don’t want to attend we will record as much as possible and put it out for free on the podcast later in the year :)

3 hours ago, krisd said:

When I first saw the announcement for PHL, I was really excited to attend Property Hub’s biggest meet-up to date. With such a high level of anticipation, I am sure I wasn’t the only one to be extremely disappointed to see the details of the event published over the last 2 days.

I felt hosting the event in London has alientanted a large proportion of northern based hubbers, who listen to the podcast every week. Surely somewhere more accessible, such as Birmingham, would have been more appropriate for the majority of listeners?! 
Secondly, the cost!!! When I saw this morning that tickets would cost over £100 per attendee, I gasped. Despite hearing so much advice from Rob and Rob (particularly during their chat with Mike Winnet) about paying over the odds for property events, having to pay over £100 for a property hub event was the last thing I expected, but it seems PH is now as much about the profits  as it is the content.

when you combine the logistical bias, the cost of travel, and the cost of tickets, I have to say I am extremely disappointed with Property Hub. This was not what I expected and I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way. 

With all the FREE and extremely valuable content that Property Hub has provided over the many years, surely £100 for the day is absolutely worth it right?

Fair enough if the tickets were in excess of £1000's, like some of the companies out there... :)

I thought the Robs would've learnt and followed Mike's Contrepreneur Formula by marketing tickets at £97, reduced from £2,997 for some 11X success!? :D

Personal Blog: https://abcdad.co.uk
Property Spreadsheet and Deal Analyser: https://abcdad.co.uk/property-spreadsheet
Looking to read some Property books? https://abcdad.co.uk/books/property-books
Follow on Instagram: @abc.dad

8 hours ago, onkar said:

With all the FREE and extremely valuable content that Property Hub has provided over the many years, surely £100 for the day is absolutely worth it right?

Fair enough if the tickets were in excess of £1000's, like some of the companies out there... :)

Although it's £100, it's also over £150 in travel from Manchester (& more for many); leaving home about 5am; getting home after midnight (or add in the cost of a hotel) and; a day off work. 

I'm sure the people who are there will enjoy it, but feels like an event for the investors with the most money and seems to have replaced the regular meetups for everyone else.

8 hours ago, dino v said:

Although it's £100, it's also over £150 in travel from Manchester (& more for many); leaving home about 5am; getting home after midnight (or add in the cost of a hotel) and; a day off work. 

I'm sure the people who are there will enjoy it, but feels like an event for the investors with the most money and seems to have replaced the regular meetups for everyone else.

Valid point! Perhaps you should wait for the event up North later on in the year like Rob as mentioned. :)

11 hours ago, dino v said:

Hi Dino

We completely understand the venue choice for our first event won't suit everyone, but we had to start with one location and it made sense to start with London as that's where a huge proportion of our listeners are based. We had 3 Meetups here at one point, compared to the single Meetups we had in other cities. 

As Rob said, we'll be in Manchester later on in the year if you'd like to join us. If not, we'll be recording as much of the events as possible so you'll have plenty of opportunity to catch up on what's happened at PH Live.

[[Template forums/front/topics/postContainer is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
13 hours ago, richard brown said:

This is nothing to do with me, but I was quite taken aback by the push back on the cost of this event to be honest. As a fellow property content sharer and event organiser myself (and I hasten to add, not affiliated to Rob & Rob besides some on and off friendly conversations over the years), I can assure you that £100 for a full-day event is very good value indeed. That said, people will have their price point sensitivities and their own idea of what constitutes good value too.

To illustrate, my last event was a 2.5 hour evening event in London at £35 and that barely broke even on just the venue hire and subsistence, not including anything for speaker's time, promotion, the back office support required, etc. By the way...I have tried to run my own events in Manchester and Birmingham but the numbers were simply not there to make it sustainable...if there is demand for such regionally-based events now, then perhaps it is worth reconsidering B)

Perhaps the loss of the monthly meetups and then a London-only event, followed by another in Manchester later in the year could potentially leave a hole out in the regions but at the same time, you can't get the economies of scale with local events sufficient to deliver high quality content at a low price either.

It's tough at times to come up with all of this content, trust me! So, fair play to Rob & Rob for all that they have done and continue to do in the industry with all the free content, training and other resources put forward by TPH around 5-6 years now I believe it is. Nothing is truly for free and we all have to monetise our content in one way or another (even the so-called free forums).

No particular axe to grind here, just putting forward a view on the cost of being a content creator and event organiser that's all.

I hope the event goes well and attendees get value from it.

I've no doubt that £100 cheap for an all day event, Rob himself has said they'll lose money on it, so why do it? I think we can therefore see the type of event it will be and that is perhaps the surprising thing. Not quite matching stripey shirts, but I've already had several emails telling me to rush to the back to get my ticket.

Appreciate any event has to be marketed, but there's always a fine line and whilst this sudden shift will appeal to many investors when it gets pushed more widely, I don't think they would have been surprised that some long term listeners would take a step back.

On 2/27/2020 at 8:18 AM, dino v said:

I've no doubt that £100 cheap for an all day event, Rob himself has said they'll lose money on it, so why do it? I think we can therefore see the type of event it will be and that is perhaps the surprising thing. Not quite matching stripey shirts, but I've already had several emails telling me to rush to the back to get my ticket.

Appreciate any event has to be marketed, but there's always a fine line and whilst this sudden shift will appeal to many investors when it gets pushed more widely, I don't think they would have been surprised that some long term listeners would take a step back.

Hi @dino v - today's podcast might help answer your question and explain why we chose to host Property Hub Live https://propertyhub.net/podcast/ask225-have-rob-and-rob-sold-out/ 

If you have any further questions, I'm happy to answer them here, just give me a shout. 

For those who've chosen to join us, we all look forward to seeing you there. 

I think generically the cost is ok, I continue to listen to Rob and Rob and value their content. I have lost faith in RMP and other add ons such as yellow lettings, and personally wouldn't these days choose to pay for an event hosted by propertyhub. But I think it is fair to charge a reasonable fee for such an event and am sure the content will be worth the fee, just not for me.

I would however not be adverse to attending in the future should my faith be restored

Really don’t understand this. My initial thought was I couldn’t believe how cheap it was compared to others. 

Rob and Rob are the good guys in this business. Have given so much time and effort into the podcast, website etc. The free content they have provided over the years has been incredible. 

I get the location can be an issue for people with travelling and accommodation but you can’t please everyone. 

To be running this event at break even/ loss is amazing to me, I think you should be rewarded financially for educating people with your knowledge and time. 

The negative feedback is crazy to me, must feel like a kick in the teeth a bit after giving so much for 7 years and asking for nothing in return. 

I'm sure the ProprtyHub live day will be great and have no doubt it'll be money well spent; I'm not able to attend myself due to work commitments but would definitely be interested in going to a future event, especially if it was on a weekend day. 

Rob and Rob, I hope the event is a great success and you both enjoy it, good luck!

I'm going.

I live in Liverpool and if I had known they was doing one in Manchester later in the year I would have probably would have waited but I see it as a good day out now.

I've been waited to get started for a while now and I am able to finally pull some equity out of my home around about the same time as this event so I'm hoping to learn as much as possible just before I get going. £185 all in (ticket, travel, hotel) is not a great deal in the grand scheme of things.

I see no reason why people should be complaining about the price or location of this!

My partner and I are travelling from Scotland overnight as we recognise the value of this event to us.

This is a great opportunity for anyone interested in or currently involved in property - we jumped at the chance to get involved in this event!

Days off work booked, dog boarding arranged, and cover for our wee boy sorted.

Excited to get in about this!

• 1 month later...

Hi Bertieg

We did email everyone with an update - have you not received this?

We've also updated our page here with an overview of what's going on and there's additional information in the FAQ section https://propertyhub.net/events

To give you an update here, we're in the process of agreeing new dates however, it's very much dependent on football fixtures right now.

We appreciate this isn't ideal, and we're working on exploring a few other solutions but please bear with us.