Covid19 - one tenant is moving out, the other wants to stay

Hi there

If anyone is able to give me some advice I'd be really grateful.

I have a flat with a tenancy ending May 5th. 2 tenants who are friends. One is moving out. The other doesn't want to move out due to concerns over Covdi19 and wants to stay put and continue to pay his half of the rent. He also doesn't want to have someone new coming into the flat at this time.

I have sympathy with his situation plus, it's unlikely I will be able to get new tenants, so having some income would be helpful. I'd like to be able to find a way to help him stay in the short-term, but where we are both still protected by a contract.

1. My understanding is that the AST cannot become a periodic tenancy since one tenant is moving and therefore the contract as it exists effectively ends. What kind of contract would I need to have in place for him to be able to stay for a couple of months, or until the lockdown is lifted, whichever comes sooner?

2. I am currently working through an agent who have been terrible and under normal circumstances my agreement with them would also have been ending on 5th May. I have asked them for help on this so that we can help the tenant, and because I am trying to abide by the terms of my agreement with the agent. However they have suggested the period tenancy or an extension to the existing tenancy - both I think cannot be done because one tenant is leaving, therefore the contract cannot remain the same. I can't get a response from them to move this situation forward. What options do I have to end the relationship with them but still help the tenant?

Thanks in advance.

Esther