cmack95

UK Expat living in Germany

Hi Folks, 

Im a 25 year old engineer from Scotland but working in Germany. I intend to invest in Buy To Let property in Glasgow but  as I won’t have enough for a deposit until next year, I’m trying to do as much research as possible.

I own no other properties, so as a first time buyer who lives abroad I expect limited mortgage options. Looking at properties on Zoopla/Rightmove and looking at mortgage comparison websites feels like I’m barely scraping the surface, in terms of research.

is there a way of digging deeper into research without yet paying a broker? I want to find out the type of rates I should expect to pay as an expat, the lowest percentage deposit I should expect to pay (25%/30% seems typical but I’d like to know if there are other cheaper options), where to find a good mortgage broker (open to recommendations). Are there many rules of thumb that I can use to plan, without actually having a purchase in mind?

I’ve listened to the podcast a lot, read one of Rob Ds books and try and I know what type of strategy I’m looking at. I’d appreciate any useful links, advice, or contacts for my future endeavours. Hopefully in a few years I will be able to repay the favour with the experience gained.

Cameron

Hi @cmack95

Welcome to the forum!

In terms of what you are looking to do, you are going to be looking at a deposit of 25% for a BTL. Even if you were a UK resident, there are only one or two lenders who will accept a 20% deposit on a Buy to Let. 

With regards to mortgage rates/terms, a broker should be able to provide you with indicative terms before you find a property. Clearly, the offerings may have changed by the time you find a property, but it certainly provides you good place to start. Please let me know if you have any questions or would like some indicative terms, always happy to help.

Best regards 

Nathan Cole

Nathan Cole CII (MP)

Mortgage Consultant at Private Finance

Office: +44 (0)1743 211 855

Email: nathan.cole@privatefinance.co.uk

PF.jpg.e1694688fae9149e2cde6fca639c73ea.jpg

@cmack95

I have / had a very similar situation to you. From Ireland but lived in dubai and bought a flat in birmingham as an Expat investor. 

I currently live in glasgow and invest here. There are a hand full of different areas as you know to invest but i personally love city centre Glasgow and believe its the best capital growth to come. 

In terms of brokers / solicitors i can certainly send across some details if you want to PM me. Maybe even  give you some ideas on purchasing a residental instead of BTL as an expat and some ways to save on tax etc.

Cheers,

Eamon

Home Equity Gains Group 

Property Investor & Developer

http://www.hegg.info ;)

https://www.instagram.com/hegg_ltd/?hl=en B)