Experienced property investor, new to the UK market

Hello Property Hub community!

I am not new to property as I have been invested in single btls in Kobe, Japan since 2003 and now have a decent portfolio there.  I also bought my first UK btl in my home town of Stratford-upon-avon in 2012.  All my properties have been doing well and each one has been a learning experience.

My family is now getting older and university in the UK looms and so does my desire to return to the UK, but on my terms.  Those terms are to be fully involved in property, the plan would be to have 5 rentals and then flip for profit.

The past 12 months has seen phase 2 of my property education take shape.  I have remortgaged my UK property, released equity and am in the process of closing on my second btl in Wolverhampton.

I now want to step this up and be able to repatriate back to the UK, I am currently working in China, in 2 years time, goal date July 2022. 

I am invested in the midlands but have looked at Liverpool and the Northwest for good cash flowing properties.  I have access to a large network of Japanese and Chinese investors but what I need to develop is the business plan, how do they win with me and we win with you?  To do this, I am very looking to JV with people in the UK that can offer my network and me true win-win-win opportunities.  So I would love to hear from anyone out there doing this already.

Many thanks,

Kevin

• 2 months later...

Hi Kevin, 

I don't know if you have ever looked at investing in York?  I currently have a number of projects on the go here that produce superb rental yields in a City that is really untouched when it comes to property investment compared to the other cities in the UK

Happy to discuss or just chat in general about the market and anything that may be mutually beneficial to us 

Regards

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin, 

I am doing a lot of work with investors from Hong Kong at the moment, especially in Greater Manchester. I offer deal sourcing, network for legals / finance / survey / lettings as well as project management on refurbs. 

I am sure we can find some win win wins! 

Nick - contact details on the website. smarterproperty.net

From experience, many Japanese & Chinese investors prefer the large cities for residential property, such as Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, London etc.

When you get into the small towns that they haven't heard of, it may be a harder to convince them to invest in.

That said, there's many great locations in Lancashire with good ROI.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi Kevin,

I hope you are well and it seems like you've got a good plan of action and are definitely on the right track. For a bit of background, I'm a chartered accountant by trade and have worked in the property industry for nearly 10 years. I now run 2 property businesses in the UK. One of which is a Property Investment Consultancy business. It sounds like perhaps you just need to fine tune the details of what you are looking to do and then you'll be set to hit the ground running. 

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have either on here so others can learn or privately if that is more suitable. I've worked with a number of investors in HK over the last 12-18 months and have a team that have vast amounts of experience in dealing with all the challenges that investing from abroad can bring. So please feel free to reach out, I'm an open book and not here to sell you anything!

Cheers

Chris