Jump to content

Visiting Liverpool for viewings


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I'm a newbie (pls be gentle!) from South London looking for my first BTL and I plan to visit Liverpool this Saturday (23rd May 2020) for a few viewings and to get to know the different areas of the city a bit more.

Any tips for me to 'understand' Liverpool better during my visit? (especially as most shops/restaurants/bars will be closed).

Thanks!

Link to post

Hi,

I'm more qualified to answer this as a scouser (albeit living abroad) than I am as a landlord, as I only let one property and it's in Formby which is just north of Liverpool. 

Normally, I would advise to take a long walk around the city centre, my favourite thing about Liverpool is it has a real personality. It's going to be difficult to experience this at the moment though.

Do you have any particular areas in mind? What is it that you're after? Yield or CG? Take a good drive around, you can see most of Liverpool in one day. Liverpool is like any other city, there are good areas and then there are not so good areas. It's difficult to answer without knowing what you're looking for. 

There's no point driving around leafy Woolton Village if your looking for low cost, high yielding properties in Anfield for example...

 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, stevie-s said:

Hi,

I'm more qualified to answer this as a scouser (albeit living abroad) than I am as a landlord, as I only let one property and it's in Formby which is just north of Liverpool. 

Normally, I would advise to take a long walk around the city centre, my favourite thing about Liverpool is it has a real personality. It's going to be difficult to experience this at the moment though.

Do you have any particular areas in mind? What is it that you're after? Yield or CG? Take a good drive around, you can see most of Liverpool in one day. Liverpool is like any other city, there are good areas and then there are not so good areas. It's difficult to answer without knowing what you're looking for. 

There's no point driving around leafy Woolton Village if your looking for low cost, high yielding properties in Anfield for example...

 

Thanks for your reply stevie-s! So I did what you describe above when I visited last Saturday. It was very helpful. Interesting to note how different certain streets are from others even within the same post code.

I will be visiting again this weekend. I'm currently focusing on ROI over capital gains. However, there are definitely quite a few areas I saw in Liverpool, where I wouldn't invest even for a higher ROI.

Having said that, I loved Liverpool. It's a great balance between a small town and a big city. Some very good neighbourhoods in L11 and L13 that I'm eyeing at the moment for a few viewings this weekend!

Link to post
13 minutes ago, anujkundarap said:

Thanks for your reply stevie-s! So I did what you describe above when I visited last Saturday. It was very helpful. Interesting to note how different certain streets are from others even within the same post code.

I will be visiting again this weekend. I'm currently focusing on ROI over capital gains. However, there are definitely quite a few areas I saw in Liverpool, where I wouldn't invest even for a higher ROI.

Having said that, I loved Liverpool. It's a great balance between a small town and a big city. Some very good neighbourhoods in L11 and L13 that I'm eyeing at the moment for a few viewings this weekend!

Ah that's great. I've just noticed the date of your original post... 

I'm originally from L12, just around the corner from where you're looking. I'm not qualified to give you advice regarding BTL's in these areas as I'm only just starting out myself, but if you need any general advice regarding areas just DM me.  

Link to post

Hi,

I have one buy to let in L11, and it rented really fast, no problems so far. I'm looking to buy more in Liverpool, but I haven't been since the lockdown. I'm curious to know, did you travel up by train? And did you stay in a hotel - are they open again?

Link to post
3 minutes ago, amariino said:

Hi,

I have one buy to let in L11, and it rented really fast, no problems so far. I'm looking to buy more in Liverpool, but I haven't been since the lockdown. I'm curious to know, did you travel up by train? And did you stay in a hotel - are they open again?

Hey amariino,

I am considering a property in L11 but it’s towards Croxteth (not Norris Green) and I’ve been told that isn’t a good area to invest in. Obviously read into the history of the place but I was hoping it’s getting better. Maybe it isn’t? Where is your buy-to-let and when did you purchase it? Prices in the city seem to be crazy at the moment so I’m wondering whether to go elsewhere.

I drove up and down the same day. Long day but it’s not too bad - can get in 5-6 viewings in a day. Hotels aren’t open yet but some serviced accommodations are if you want to stay.

Link to post

I bought in Norris Green in December. Yes, I've heard that about Croxteth too - in the Property Hub magazine it listed it as one of the places not to invest! Norris Green seems nice, with quiet streets with owner occupied homes who've lived there a long time and know the neighbours. I've noticed houses are about £10K cheaper in Croxteth, despite being just a few streets away and practically identical to the houses in Norris Green.

That's good if you've got a car - it's a much better way to get around Liverpool. On foot and public transport it's not so easy to get 5 viewings close to each other in one day!

Link to post
43 minutes ago, amariino said:

I bought in Norris Green in December. Yes, I've heard that about Croxteth too - in the Property Hub magazine it listed it as one of the places not to invest! Norris Green seems nice, with quiet streets with owner occupied homes who've lived there a long time and know the neighbours. I've noticed houses are about £10K cheaper in Croxteth, despite being just a few streets away and practically identical to the houses in Norris Green.

That's good if you've got a car - it's a much better way to get around Liverpool. On foot and public transport it's not so easy to get 5 viewings close to each other in one day!

How can I get the magazine?

How's your investment in norris green is doing so far?

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...

You can subscribe to their magazine here. It's £5 every 2 months now as they've increased the frequency of the issues to bi-monthly. You then get access to all the back issues as well online. 

I trekked up from London to Liverpool last year for a day trip to view about 4 properties and to scope the areas around L13. Walked 18.5km, most of it in the rain!

Personal Blog: https://abcdad.co.uk
Property Spreadsheet and Deal Analyser: https://abcdad.co.uk/property-spreadsheet
Looking to read some Property books? https://abcdad.co.uk/books/property-books
Follow on Instagram: @abc.dad

Link to post
On 6/12/2020 at 5:32 PM, amariino said:

I guess you can get the Magazine somewhere on this website? It's £5 per quarter or something like that.

My house is going fine, so far. The rent is coming in and no one has contacted me about it...

thanks, can you refer me to the magazine issue date that talks about Norris green?

 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...