Serve notice during lockdown?

Hi,

I'm getting conflicting information out there so thought I'd ask the forum.

I have a property I'm planning to sell. Current tenant has been in for over a year and AST is now rolling.

If I serve notice now, are my tenants still required to vacate in two months (per contract) or does the COVID-19 legislation kick in not allowing any evictions of current (despite the reason being because I need to sell)?

Appreciate your viewpoints!

Thanks

The ban on evictions will affect you even if you are planning to sell. I believe the effect is that you must give 3 months notice instead of 2 but if your tenant doesn't leave getting to court will be an extremely lengthy process.

Have you asked your tenant if they would be willing to leave? They may be happy to go and not need evicting - or sell the property with the tenant in situ.

Good Luck :)

10 hours ago, julia urquhart said:

The ban on evictions will affect you even if you are planning to sell. I believe the effect is that you must give 3 months notice instead of 2 but if your tenant doesn't leave getting to court will be an extremely lengthy process.

Have you asked your tenant if they would be willing to leave? They may be happy to go and not need evicting - or sell the property with the tenant in situ.

Good Luck :)

Hey! Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the 3 month ban will be extended? Not actually told me tenant yet, don't really want to unsettle them (they a good tenant and still paying me) until I get some clarity that there won't be major roadblocks. I had heard it may be extended by another 3 months...

It may be extended or not. Nothing confirmed yet.

If you want your tenant to leave on their own terms giving them extra time will help them do so. You may end up with a void whilst you sell but balancing that against having to evict I would choose the former. You will have to tell them before you market it anyway & will need their co-operation for viewings.

I would consider carefully how you tell them - you want them to work with you not against do a face to face may be better than a 'Hey, you need to leave' text!

Good luck :)