BTL in Liverpool

lwchan

Dingle and Toxteth

These areas are South of the city, and were once considered run down parts of Liverpool. There has been a lot of regeneration in the L8 postcode area and it attracts students and young professionals. You can get a great terraced house for around your budget.

I like L8 properties as I feel there is good potential for capital growth and as well as strong yields. The area has access to many green spaces as well as transport links to the city centre.

Bootle

North of the city centre, Bootle is getting a lot of attention from investors recently. You can find property in the L20 postcode for under £100k. 

Hi I've also been looking in liverpool and wanted to find out what areas will be affected by the coming railway project. I am looking to purchase a property for investment and wanted to also know areas like merseyside, bootle and even Kirkby. I hope anyone can help. Thanks.

Hi 

You’ll find that L7 and L6 areas are very popular with investors, and there is a multitude of mini HMO’s in them areas.

The Dingle (L8) is a great place for a 2 bed property around the bread streets. The yield isn’t the best but the houses rent really well as the roads there are sloping towards the river and have a great view. I have viewed a number of properties Just on the fringe of where L8 meets L17 (Aigburth) where house prices in L17 shot up by about £50k. Further South passed L17 you come in to Garston (L19) you may find properties there as prices are quite reasonable as well - then there’s Speke further South in which Liverpool Airport is located. All of these areas have good fundamentals to Liverpool City centre by train/bus. 

There are a multitude of areas such as Old Swan and Tuebrook (L13) although I’d say Old Swan is the better area. L11 which is Norris Green and Croxteth - these areas I would say you’d be more leaning towards yield with less emphasis on capital growth. 

Thanks, 

Neil

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and am also looking to buy my first BTL/BRR in Liverpool.

I hear that Wavertree gets a bad rep but from my initial research I see that the yields are high. Is this beacuase HMO's are skewing the averages?

Can anyone recommend  any other areas where rents/demand is high as my strategy is to maximise income in the short term? My budget is £180k and I am looking at terraced houses.

Many thanks,

G

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 10:59 AM, lwchan said:

Hi maxine_mitchell, thanks so much for your advice. What do you think about L11? Somebody suggested me to consider this area as well.

L11 has a reputation for being quite rough so it may cause you problems in the long run. I don't know the area that well myself but the general consensus on L11 from locals is that it is not the best area. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 10:09 AM, gd said:

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and am also looking to buy my first BTL/BRR in Liverpool.

I hear that Wavertree gets a bad rep but from my initial research I see that the yields are high. Is this beacuase HMO's are skewing the averages?

Can anyone recommend  any other areas where rents/demand is high as my strategy is to maximise income in the short term? My budget is £180k and I am looking at terraced houses.

Many thanks,

G

Wavertree is not all bad. Picton end gets a bit rough. The spots towards Greenbank (between Smithdown Rd and Wavertree Playground), or between the Playground and Queens Drive are decent enough, particular the latter. Be a bit more wary going the other way down Smithdown though (personally, I wouldn’t want to live past the Asda/Aldi on Smithdown but that’s with a family.)

Garston is a good recommendation if you stick with the roads off Long Lane park. Houses are priced OK, there’s easy bus/train links to town or over to Manchester/Chester via South Parkway, plus green space  and a much sought-after primary school in the area (Gilmore).