First timer: finding a solicitor

Hi, I’m 27 and about to buy my first property to live in for 2 years then remortgage to a BTL, I’m looking for recommendations for a solicitor, do I need one for the specific area (Portsmouth) or can I just use any old solicitor?

thanks for any advice in advance

3 hours ago, jake_j_w said:

Hi, I’m 27 and about to buy my first property to live in for 2 years then remortgage to a BTL, I’m looking for recommendations for a solicitor, do I need one for the specific area (Portsmouth) or can I just use any old solicitor?

thanks for any advice in advance

Hi Jake,

One of the mistakes I've made in the past is deciding on a solicitor first, then finding out that the solicitor is not on a particular lender's panel of solicitors once a mortgage application was submitted.

So what I would do if I was you is find your property, talk with a broker to find what lender you would apply with, then in parallel find a solicitor who is on this lender's panel.

I am now in a position where I have worked with a hand full of solicitors and will pick one depending on whichever lender I deal with.

The solicitor does not have to be local, but I wouldn't go with any old solicitor either. Based on my experience you get what you pay, meaning don't go for the cheapest!

I wouldn't go local unless you're going to use a ridging Lender or Mortgage company that doesn't allow ILA/Witnessing on a video call. As you don't want to travel every time. Most Mortgage lenders allow it over video (I've done so with FHL and Kent).

I'd look for recommendations, from people who have actually used them before multiple times.

I use a conveyancer for cash/Investor purchases, who we've done 6 deals with

I use a Solicitor for Bridging and Remortgaging who I've done 12+ deals with

Both came recommended, and I made it clear from the start how quickly I'm growing and they need to align with it.

Hi Jake, 

I've found through my experiences that conveyancing is one of those areas where you don't necessarily need a local solicitor - their efficiency and reliability is far more important.  I agree with the above that you should speak with people you know who have purchased properties in the past and go based on recommendation. For what its worth, I would recommend Elite Law Solicitors - this is a link to one of their recent blog posts: https://www.elitelawsolicitors.co.uk/assignment-of-a-lease/

Hope that helps and you find the right solicitor for you!

• 2 weeks later...