wookash

How to deal with the builder?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how you deal with the builder on refurb projets. Specifically in regards to payments and timeframe. I'm interested in:

- Do you pay your builder upfront or after the work or maybe you pay installments once defined milestone is reached? 
- Do you pay deposits before work commences?
- What do you do if the results of refurb are not as anticipated?
- How do you secure yourself from builder running away in the middle of refurb?

I'm a newbie in dealing with third parties :)

You are entering into a contract, it would be preferable to have a written contract in place, as you may not wish to make that contract on the terms of business a contractor presents as a quotation.  The contract needs to be appropriate to the scale / complexity of work; however up front payment (why would this be reasonable), non explicit standard of work (specify what you want), and uncertainty of determination and duration should all be resolved before you start.  

Hi 

Speaking as a builder - do not pay upfront! 

We always ensure a contract is agreed to protect both us the builder and you our clients! As Alastair mentioned the contract should be appropriate to the scale of the project with agreed payment terms  -  monthly, fortnightly or on stage payments for given milestones etc. These should be set out together with a full breakdown of costs, what drawings / specifications the works are based on should any changes be made etc. 

The JCT Home Owners contract is a good starting point for most domestic refurbishment works. I wouldn't trust the builder to stick around if they wont commit to signing a contract!

Regards

David

2 hours ago, david gilmore said:

Hi 

Speaking as a builder - do not pay upfront! 

We always ensure a contract is agreed to protect both us the builder and you our clients! As Alastair mentioned the contract should be appropriate to the scale of the project with agreed payment terms  -  monthly, fortnightly or on stage payments for given milestones etc. These should be set out together with a full breakdown of costs, what drawings / specifications the works are based on should any changes be made etc. 

The JCT Home Owners contract is a good starting point for most domestic refurbishment works. I wouldn't trust the builder to stick around if they wont commit to signing a contract!

Regards

David

Thanks a lot for insights! Really helpful advice