Birmingham

Hi guys. I've noticed there are a few people mentioning Birmingham as a potential investment location. This is where my BTLs are and I was bought up in the city, too, so I thought I'd give some advice on specific areas.

Depending on your budget, the Jewellery Quarter would be a great place to buy, properties can be expensive but you get excellent rental as there's such a thriving business environment around there, plus there's a train station, loads of lovely pubs, restaurants and shops. There are mainly flats/apartments in beautiful old converted factories and on other industrial sites. However, there has been plenty of investment in the last few years with new apartment buildings with snazzy townhouses available.

Digbeth is fantastic and is having serious investment, esp with HS2's introduction - Digbeth is on the new station's door step. There is also Moor St station a stone's throw away which takes you directly to London - as do all of central Birmingham's stations. Talking of which, New St station is very close to Digbeth, too, which makes the place a hugely convenient place to live or invest in. It's very industrial so there are beautiful train bridge arches that have been converted into outdoor bars with food festivals taking place weekly. The Custard factory is also located in Digbeth, which is a thriving zone for young workers. There are flats-galore around the area, but are snapped up quickly. Most are less expensive than the Jewellery Quarter (relatively speaking) so this could be a good place to invest if you can get in there.

Moseley and Kings Heath, are two bohemian districts outside of the city centre. Most of the properties are 19th century terraced houses. If you had a bigger budget you may want to look at HMOs. Moseley has a village feel to it and has a mix of families and young bourgeoisie. Whereas Kings Heath has a busy high st screaming through the middle of her. Both districts sit on the busiest bus route in Europe (the number 50). The reason that it's such a busy route is that the train stations were taken away from these areas 80 years ago - but, this year, plans for redevelopment of the two stations have been approved after many years of campaigning. Perhaps now is a great time to get in to these areas.

Perry Barr is going to be the site of the Commonwealth Games athletes' village so there's plenty of redevelopment around the area as we speak. With affordable areas like Great Barr, Kingstanding and Aston close-by, they could be areas to look at that may feel the ripple effect of the Commonwealth Games in the long term.

Selly Oak is full of students as the university is close-by. Birmingham University Hospital is based here, too. The area is full of a mixture of redevelopment and old terraced houses, perfect for student accommodation. Lots of green areas with the affluent Edgbaston close-by.

So that's a start for people looking to invest in Birmingham. There are so many more areas and if you'd like to get in touch then please ask me any questions. There's no ulterior motive here other than looking to help you and getting to know you! I'd write more but I don't know if people will even read the post :lol: