New investor Bognor to Brighton

Hi Guys, I’m Dan, just turned 40 and looking at the economic conditions have decided this is the ideal time to be getting into property.

I’m actually mainly an stocks & shares type guy working in London for 20 years, so I have a decent portfolio of around half a million in my ISA. However, I do not intend to touch a single penny of that. The stock market is a mechanism for transferring wealth from the impatient to the patient, and I think I can get a couple more doublings out of that before I retire that I put (hopefully) somewhere between 50-60.

I moved out of London to the Solent area. So my investment universe will probably be between Bognor and Brighton, capturing places like Portsmouth, Southampton and the satellite towns.  Not the greatest location I know as property prices are high around here. But if it is here I can much more easily keep an eye on things myself, probably important while I learn?

Looking at the market and the way the various governments have brought the economy’s to a standstill I’m fairly convinced we are going to see every major central bank having a big dick competition and absolutely hosing liquidity everywhere. I’ve lived through the 2000 and 2008 crash, and actually the rebound was the craziest bits, not the crash.  I think wage earners are going to get crushed, especially in industries of discretionary spend, but asset prices will as surge, because the money always gravitates there sooner or later. So I see a window of opportunity opening in the next 12-24 months to but properties before the inevitable boom 5-6 years from now. And I just need to remember to iron plate myself for the mother of all crashes occurring in the 2030s as a result of all this cheap money madness. I don’t like any of this, but nevertheless I have a family to provide for so if there is opportunity I need to move on it.

In terms of raising money as I mentioned the ISAs are off limits. But I could pull £100k out of the mortgage. If I were to take say Portsmouth I could get two £185k properties (that I hope will get a bit cheaper yet) with two 25% mortgages + costs. Not sure where I go from there, but it’s a start.  

I’m on the forum to learn what I don’t know, and maybe get a handle of distance investing and HMOs, as yields near me are not great. If I’ve already said something stupid please say. Apart from buying a couple of homes for myself I’m new

Hi, 

Your subject title was Bognor to Brighton, but you talk about Portsmouth, which isn't in that area. 

Anyway, I have property in Portsmouth and also 2 (maybe soon to be 3) in Worthing. 

I am hands off, and no longer living in that area. But feel free to ask me questions and I will try to help.