Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!

Just to introduce myself I am 26 and work full time with a busy job in the NHS! I bought my home almost one year ago and am now looking to buy my first buy to let and really hope that this will be the start of a portfolio. My main focus is capital growth - a good yield would be great, but I am happy to compromise on this.

I am focusing on Nottingham as it is near to where I live so I think that this would be a great starting point. At the moment I am looking at houses only  because I understand them more- as I build on my portfolio I would be keen to look at flats at a later stage.

My main questions are location specific. I am mainly focusing on Arnold as it seems to have great fundamentals so I have seen some 2 bed terraced houses well within my budget of 150k. I have also seen some semi-detatched but these seem to go very quickly. Another area of interest is NG4/Netherfield region but I have been a bit put off by this due to the selective licensing scheme, which seems like a big hassle and a big cost.

I would absolutely love to hear other ideas, particularly anyone who knows the Nottingham area and might be able to suggest good locations or comment on my plan - would be keen to hear any ideas!

 

Thanks :D 

Link to post

Hi Rogin, 

I grew up in West Bridgford and know the area well - my parents have benefited greatly from capital growth from when they bought in the late 90s, I'm not sure what is left in the tank here though as prices are already high but might be worth looking at areas close by to this: Lady Bay, Edwalton, Gamston and even Ruddington. 

What is the selective licencing scheme by the way? 

Good luck. 

Link to post

Most of Netherfield is in a flood zone so beware!

Selective licensing covers Netherfield  and Nottingham City Centre.

Not sure how far you money would go in West Bridgeford and surrounds.

Beeston is up and coming because of the tram & new development in the centre. 

Carlton / Gedling / Mapperleyare all options, especially with the new bypass coming.

Good luck :)

Link to post
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 8:20 PM, richs said:

Hi Rogin, 

I grew up in West Bridgford and know the area well - my parents have benefited greatly from capital growth from when they bought in the late 90s, I'm not sure what is left in the tank here though as prices are already high but might be worth looking at areas close by to this: Lady Bay, Edwalton, Gamston and even Ruddington. 

What is the selective licencing scheme by the way? 

Good luck. 

Thanks Richs for the message!

 

Yes I have heard that West Bridgford is very popular and it has benefited a lot from capital growth, I do wonder if it will continue to grow in price as it has done as Nottingham grows in price (if the predictions about capital growth for Nottingham come true :D ) but it may very well do as it's such a popular area, I think for me it is possibly too out of budget to consider at this stage, but will be interesting to see.

 

Selective licensing applies for all properties that are rented out in certain parts of Nottingham - city centre and Netherfield. It seems like a big hassle and big cost- I believe they check simple things like gas safety, electrical safety as well as other documents and to complete the process can be timely from what I have heard and costs almost £900, has to be done for every property and repeated every 5 years.

 

Take care,

Rogin

Link to post
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 3:21 PM, julia urquhart said:

Most of Netherfield is in a flood zone so beware!

Selective licensing covers Netherfield  and Nottingham City Centre.

Not sure how far you money would go in West Bridgeford and surrounds.

Beeston is up and coming because of the tram & new development in the centre. 

Carlton / Gedling / Mapperleyare all options, especially with the new bypass coming.

Good luck :)

Thank you very much Julia for your help!

I think you are right about West Bridgford being out of my budget unless I waited a bit longer until I could afford it. Would be interested to hear your opinion on if you think the house prices will continue to rise as Nottingham in general (hopefully) benefits from capital growth as WB is such a popular area, or if you think perhaps I am a bit too late for now?

 

Thanks for the great tips on other areas to research too! :D

 

Take care

Rogin

Link to post
  • 5 months later...

Hey Julia,

I am late to this thread I am keen to purchase a BTL in Nottingham I ideally want to buy in a nice area to attract a better tenant my budget is £100-£110k what areas would you recommend.

Link to post

I live and work in Nottingham and run a Property Networking Group.  If people want to discuss Nottingham investment more generally and specific areas / considerations in particular then this is the place.  Lots of investors who have active portfolios (and opinions!) come to our regular monthly meetup as well as supporting our wider community throughout the month.

I actively invest (for Yield mostly) in Nottingham for myself and on behalf of others.  Happy to chat on the phone to bounce ideas around.  The biggest challenge with Nottingham is the sheer variety of opportunity and lots of strong fundamentals to go round.  A great City but not easy to narrow down your search radius.

Jonathan Challis
E: Challis8@gmail.com
M: 07847 303273
W: BespokeNPS.co.uk
Eventbrite: Nottingham Property Circle
Share - Learn - Build

Jonathan-Challis.jpg

The Nottingham Meetup takes place on the first Thursday of every month, find out more here

Link to post
On 2/23/2021 at 9:19 PM, lukel said:

Hey Julia,

I am late to this thread I am keen to purchase a BTL in Nottingham I ideally want to buy in a nice area to attract a better tenant my budget is £100-£110k what areas would you recommend.

I think you need a bigger budget for a nice area. I've just paid £130k for a 3 bed in Mapperley that needs a £12l refurb. £100-110 is putting you in Netherfield or St Annes - not places I would choose to buy. Really you're going to need £150k wish to make this work IMO.

 

Good luck :) 

Link to post
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

First post on property hub so here goes!

Keen to follow up on this thread and see what has happened since the last posts ...

Myself and partner are in the Cambridge area, have decent jobs, a property each (mortgaged) and partner also has a BTL in Cambridge.

We have about £150k to invest and the 'dream' is to get this to work now so that in about 5 years we can leave the 9-5 and just work in the property market full time. We've had varying ideas, from cheaper flips in this area which we can do at weekends, to selling our properties and buying a more expensive property to work on and live there whilst we refurb then sell. But Cambridge and surrounding areas are so expensive, and anything we've seen with a hint of profit in gets snapped up. So now we're thinking about getting some BTLs with our capital and seem to keep coming back to Nottingham. Don't know the area, so wondering what would be the best strategy to set our £150k to work, in order to maximise its potential looking at 5 years down the line, so good rental now and good capital growth. Thanks all 😊

 

Link to post
On 5/7/2021 at 6:37 AM, lorrainet said:

Hi everyone,

First post on property hub so here goes!

Keen to follow up on this thread and see what has happened since the last posts ...

Myself and partner are in the Cambridge area, have decent jobs, a property each (mortgaged) and partner also has a BTL in Cambridge.

We have about £150k to invest and the 'dream' is to get this to work now so that in about 5 years we can leave the 9-5 and just work in the property market full time. We've had varying ideas, from cheaper flips in this area which we can do at weekends, to selling our properties and buying a more expensive property to work on and live there whilst we refurb then sell. But Cambridge and surrounding areas are so expensive, and anything we've seen with a hint of profit in gets snapped up. So now we're thinking about getting some BTLs with our capital and seem to keep coming back to Nottingham. Don't know the area, so wondering what would be the best strategy to set our £150k to work, in order to maximise its potential looking at 5 years down the line, so good rental now and good capital growth. Thanks all 😊

 

Personally with that you could be looking at 3 x local 2-3 beds in a decent investment area with half decent yields and good growth aspects, however that'd be your money gone probably for 3-5 years until you can refinance and you would only be netting say £1100 a month in the meantime depending on your tax band. 

I have about 100k to invest, already have one single let, have purchase 1 x more and am in the market for a 3rd this year. For me , property is a long term 10 year + thing so I am happy to have invested in a good area for growth and get a decent yield in the meantime that I chuck into a S&S ISA. I dont have the time to manage BRR at the moment as my job is demanding plus two young kids and my other half works part time.

If however I was wanting to leave the rat race in 5 years and do that through property , but still needed to work a busy job between now and then, I would be focusing on buying and developing and moving in my own property. You have the time / presence to do / sort things, likely the % gain will be higher as the value of the property will be higher and also any gains that you do make will be free from CGT as for a higher rate tax payer that can wipe out a proportion of the profit on flips that are second homes (28%). 

 

Move house using your existing equity, spend the cash pot on adding value, get valuation, sell , same again. I know people that have created huge amounts of cash that way

 

Link to post
20 hours ago, ayns said:

 

Move house using your existing equity, spend the cash pot on adding value, get valuation, sell , same again. I know people that have created huge amounts of cash that way

 

Maybe not ideal if you have kids - moving school / friends constantly is very disruptive.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...