Creating HMO's in Manchester seems impossible?

Hello!

I've been researching HMO's in Manchester, and so far I'm under the impression that pretty much everywhere in Manchester has Article 4 in place? Does anyone have any experience turning a C3 dwelling into a C4 dwelling? Is it harder in some places in Manchester to get planning permission even with Article 4 in place? I was under the impression that Article 4 makes it pretty much impossible to create HMO's...

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2020 at 2:33 PM, milliewoodham said:

Hello!

I've been researching HMO's in Manchester, and so far I'm under the impression that pretty much everywhere in Manchester has Article 4 in place? Does anyone have any experience turning a C3 dwelling into a C4 dwelling? Is it harder in some places in Manchester to get planning permission even with Article 4 in place? I was under the impression that Article 4 makes it pretty much impossible to create HMO's...

Hi Millie,

I've been looking into HMO licensing in Manchester recently too. I don't know if I'm missing something but agree with you in terms of it seems impossible to find an area in Manchester that doesn't have Article 4 in place.

I'm also a bit in the dark about what happens if you purchase a property you wish to turn into a HMO, but then get denied a license. If a property doesn't have a HMO license but you wish to turn it into a HMO, is this just a gamble that you have to take or is there a way of finding out if you will be accepted to get a license before you purchase a property?

If anyone with experience turning a C3 into a C4 dwelling could shed any light that would be so helpful! Nat

All of Manchester (Manchester City Council) is Area 4. A lot of the surrounding councils have similar policies in place e.g. Trafford. That doesn't mean it's impossible, as it will depend which specific area you pick but there would therefore be a risk that you couldn't get planning permission.

Difficult with a house, but with a commercial property, you may be able to agree an option, subject to planning

On 11/13/2020 at 7:41 PM, dino v said:

All of Manchester (Manchester City Council) is Area 4. A lot of the surrounding councils have similar policies in place e.g. Trafford. That doesn't mean it's impossible, as it will depend which specific area you pick but there would therefore be a risk that you couldn't get planning permission.

Difficult with a house, but with a commercial property, you may be able to agree an option, subject to planning

Hi!

Thank you for your input, it's definitely something I need to research more about!