Kitchen suppliers...

ayns

Builder we are using has trade account for kitchens with Magnet and Howdens. Any idea how these stake up value wise? Anyone used either for a rental and have a rough idea cost wise for a 10 unit kitchen?

We are re-furbing a 2 bed terrace working professionals are target audience for rent, rents for about £600pcm value is circa £120k

Thanks!

Think they're both pretty good, although apparently you have to haggle with Howdens to get the right price, which can be a pain. We used Magnet for our refurb, although prices were via LNPG so cheaper than usual and possibly cheaper than the builder can get. Quality was more than good enough for a similar type of rental, with solid units rather than flat pack, soft close hinges etc. We went for a handleless design, as it saved quite a bit when you had to add all the handles on. Wasn't the cheapest range, but without the handles, came out a similar price. 

great thanks for that. We have a small kitchen so are looking at an 8 unit kitchen with cooker and hood. space for washing machine and separate fridge freezer. We were looking to match up with charcoal stone flooring however have been advised good vinyl looks just as good and easier to refresh in the future (maybe im knit picking with costs?). 

Also, would you shy away from the likes of b and q and wickes for kitchens? They are really competitive price wise

As always with a refurb , just trying to balance the books so we dont overspend when really if its clean and modern it'll rent for a good return ever day of the week anyway. We ideally want to get 10 years or so out of it though.

I've used Howdens historically, good quality, you do have to haggle though.

This time I'm opting for B and Q. I know two people who have used them and they're really happy. They were for their own residential properties too. Its getting fitted in Nov so I can't comment personally yet. The design process is good though so I'm looking forward to it. They are a bit cheaper than otherd for the same thing.

Are you talking about off the shelf or orderd? I have used B&Q & Wickes off the shelf in the past. B&Q have changed their branding to 'Good Home' so not sure about the quality now however if you have forgotten something (or broken something) you can pick up another easily! Wickes off the shelf come with everything you need including handles which I quite like. Again quality was fine.

I have just put a Homebase kitchen in my daughter's house - very pleased with the quality although probably a bit more expensive, also came very quickly! I have never used Howdens - unless you have an account you can't get a price so you can't compare and I find that frustrating. I think Magnet might be quite expensive.

Thanks for all the comments.

We have an appointment booked at b and q this Saturday. By then we should have the quote and design plans from Magnet so can use them, yes I agree magnet seems pricey from just taking a look at the other retailers like b and q , homebase etc etc.

FYI we had the quote back from magnet and was very competitive. They ended up sending it to us directly rather than the building so saw the itemised bill. Basically 50% discount for his trade acccountbso came in at a great price.  

• 1 month later...

Found this very helpful. Thank you. 
Will be needing a new kitchen when I the coming months.

Wasn’t sure if anyone’s ever bought a 2nd hand one off eBay? Seen some nice ones go for amazing prices! 

I've done high end, low end and middle end. I've bottomed out on liking sharker style doors from B&Q. £24 for a 600mm wide door. £28 for a carcass. Put a decent worktop and tiles and your a winner. I always put two spare door under the kick boards ( space permitting ) for when they get screwed up next to the cooker. It will be cheaper than Howdens and Magnets. Sure, them them come and measure up. But designing a kitchen in this market is simple.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just been informed by a friend in the trade that Howdens do a "landlord pack", he said they are perfect for smaller kitchens.

Will require a new kitchen in the coming months so will update you on my findings!

On 12/9/2020 at 11:39 PM, j0e said:

I've just been informed by a friend in the trade that Howdens do a "landlord pack", he said they are perfect for smaller kitchens.

Will require a new kitchen in the coming months so will update you on my findings!

hi joe we have just had ours done with Howdens, great quality and cost was unreal through the trade. Can recommend

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 9:47 AM, ayns said:

hi joe we have just had ours done with Howdens, great quality and cost was unreal through the trade. Can recommend

Perfect thanks for for sharing, I guess that’s the first place I’ll be visiting 👍

On 1/12/2021 at 2:01 PM, j0e said:

Perfect thanks for for sharing, I guess that’s the first place I’ll be visiting 👍

definetly, theywill come out and design as well which for the price and quality I couldn't believe really