L6 area oversaturated with HMOs

amariino

Hi everyone,

I just did a search to see rental prices in L6 for 3 bedroom houses and there are 67 results. In my opinion 2 bed terraces should rent for about £450 and 3 bed for about £500. The results of the 67 properties have a huge span: from £300 to 1235. But actually all the cheaper ones are the price per room for students, and all the most expensive ones are also aimed at students in houseshares. All the cheaper ones should actually be advertised as a room for rent not a three bedroom house, and all the most expensive ones seem to be ripping off the poor students!

The cheapest 3 bedroom house is £433 per month - although this mentions students so it could be the price per room rather than the whole house.

The cheapest one that's definitely a whole house is £550 pcm. There are some 2 bedroom houses marketed as 3 bedroom and asking £650.

The top end is £750 - and the house listed for this is very nice and well worth this price, judging by the pictures and description. It has a let agreed.

After this are houseshares with prices starting at £1040 going up to £1235.

Three of the 67 have lets agreed. 18 ads are older than one month.

These are my conclusions: there is an oversaturation of HMOs and student lets in L6! If I was searching for a 3 bed house to rent, I would be fed up with scrolling through all the houseshare ads, trying to actually find a three bed house to rent. Rents in L6 have gone up quite a lot since I last checked.

If you were three students, why on earth would you pay £1235 when you could pay £750 for a much bigger and spacious house?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 5:00 PM, amariino said:

I just did a search to see rental prices in L6 for 3 bedroom houses and there are 67 results. In my opinion 2 bed terraces should rent for about £450 and 3 bed for about £500. T

But that is not what the market dictates. That is just your opinion, which ultimately, does not dictate rent costs. 

You are absolutely right that it is saturated - I think very quickly the country (not just Liverpool) will be oversaturated with HMO's and investors will lose money if their model is based on full HMO occupancy. Your first sentence shows this is probably the case as demand for single let properties has pushed up the price (because of increased demand).