Buildings Insurance - Level of Neighbour's Garden higher than damp course in my Garage, causing water ingress

Hello to everyone,  I'm new to the forum and I would be really grateful for some sound advice on the following matter. I am reluctant to approach my insurance company, before I have asked for some advice from an independent source, so here goes.

My garage adjoins the neighbouring property and the former owner has built a patio, which is above the damp course of my garage, so the consequences of this is that water is coming through the damp course and is forming puddles, making the walls and the garage very damp. I believe the existing owner is unaware of the current problem.

I cannot approach my current neighbour, this is impossible, as we have fallen out and it has become serious but it has nothing to do with this issue at all. I would like to go straight to my insurance company and ask them for their help and support but I do not trust them. I have this feeling they will probably put my insurance premium up, as now I have admitted there is a risk and probably won't do anything unless I make a claim, although I am mindful that I have a responsibility/due dilligence to make my insurance company aware of such concerns.

The damage caused by this water ingress will only cause more damage, if ignored, so I want to deal with this in the most amicable and sensible way possible, taking into consideration that unfortunately I cannot write, or approach my neighbour in any way, unless it is through my insurance company, or a solicitor.

What would an insurance company's procedure/policy be if one were to approach them with this matter, or does all the responsibility lie solely with me to solve this.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:15 PM, summersgirl60 said:

My garage adjoins the neighbouring property and the former owner has built a patio, which is above the damp course of my garage, so the consequences of this is that water is coming through the damp course and is forming puddles, making the walls and the garage very damp. I believe the existing owner is unaware of the current problem.

This is a littleconfusing, at least to me.

So, it's YOUR garage, a former neighbour (?) has built a patio which abuts your garage above DPC?  

On 12/14/2020 at 7:15 PM, summersgirl60 said:

I believe the existing owner is unaware of the current problem.

The current neighbour is the one unaware of the problem? And that's the one you have fallen out with?

I need a drink........