House with only bathroom connected to a bedroom.

I bought a small two bedroom terraced house as an investment and it had been rented out to a long term tenant until they recently decided to move. I would like to renovate the house, however I want to try and sort a major issue with the house at the same time. The only bathroom is connected to one of the upstairs bedrooms. I would like to make it so people have access to the bathroom without going through a bedroom, otherwise I am restricted to renting it out to a couple or small family. I could build a bathroom in the larger bedroom, not as an en-suite, but like a shared bathroom so that if whoever rents the house never needs to walk through a bedroom to go to the bathroom. Has anyone ever tried to manage this issue in a small house? I have the layout of a same sized house on the same street, but they have added a bathroom, similar what I want to do. I do not have a third bedroom downstairs like in that layout and have left it as a living room plus diner. I am not sure if this new bathroom layout this makes the bedroom on the left too small. Anyone have any thoughts?

IMG-20201221-WA0004.jpg

I understand what you are trying to do, but even with unrestricted access to the bathroom this is a small house best suited to a couple. I would question whether the cost of making the access to the bathroom and the subsequent loss of space in the bedroom is really worthwhile. There are plenty of houses like this and if people are happy to rent them then why go to the effort and cost involved in the change?

21 hours ago, dave_rk said:

I bought a small two bedroom terraced house as an investment and it had been rented out to a long term tenant until they recently decided to move. I would like to renovate the house, however I want to try and sort a major issue with the house at the same time. The only bathroom is connected to one of the upstairs bedrooms. I would like to make it so people have access to the bathroom without going through a bedroom, otherwise I am restricted to renting it out to a couple or small family. I could build a bathroom in the larger bedroom, not as an en-suite, but like a shared bathroom so that if whoever rents the house never needs to walk through a bedroom to go to the bathroom. Has anyone ever tried to manage this issue in a small house? I have the layout of a same sized house on the same street, but they have added a bathroom, similar what I want to do. I do not have a third bedroom downstairs like in that layout and have left it as a living room plus diner. I am not sure if this new bathroom layout this makes the bedroom on the left too small. Anyone have any thoughts?

IMG-20201221-WA0004.jpg

You should speak to as many builders as possible. Ask them if the project is feasible, and what the costs would be. Also ask them what could go wrong

You will be putting water pipes through walls, so there are things that can go wrong. The more builders you speak to, the more you are aware of the risks

Once you do that, you'll have a good idea about whether it's worth the effort

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vin Gupta
Property Investor and Developer
UK Property Blog: https://evolutionblogger.com/article/uk-property-articles
Travel Blog: https://soulfultravelguy.com/

Thank you both for the reply. I am getting multiple quotes from different builders. Another idea pointed out by someone was to make the living area a combined kitchen/diner/lounge and change the kitchen into the bathroom. Might be a good idea.  I want to go through the effort as I think in the long run I can earn much more, as the current set up means I can't rent it out to two separate people. People are happy to rent these kinds of properties, but its still easier to rent out if it doesn't have this strange set up.

16 hours ago, dave_rk said:

Thank you both for the reply. I am getting multiple quotes from different builders. Another idea pointed out by someone was to make the living area a combined kitchen/diner/lounge and change the kitchen into the bathroom. Might be a good idea.  I want to go through the effort as I think in the long run I can earn much more, as the current set up means I can't rent it out to two separate people. People are happy to rent these kinds of properties, but its still easier to rent out if it doesn't have this strange set up.

The advantage of that is that the kitchen will already have the water pipes. Then the question is, how easy is it to connect the pipes (water/gas) from the old kitchen to new kitchen/diner. A builder will be able to tell you how to do this

Make sure to really interrogate the builders that come over. Ask them what the best idea is - it's basically free information from an expert.  

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vin Gupta
Property Investor and Developer
UK Property Blog: https://evolutionblogger.com/article/uk-property-articles
Travel Blog: https://soulfultravelguy.com/

If you turn the kitchen into a bathroom as you are suggesting then I'd recommend you leave the boiler in the bathroom if possible and put the new kitchen as close to the old one as possible. In the corner by the back window would be best. This should be the easiest and cheapest for the drainage and pipework. If you use an induction hob in the new kitchen then you wouldn't need to reroute the gas either. I agree that opening up the downstairs by taking the wall down will make the whole house feel bigger. As to whether it adds more value than it costs, that will depend on the area you are in!

Quite a few houses have this layout where I invest and to be honest the rental amount is the same, just different tenants. I wouldn’t have though a 2 bed house has major hmo potential, might be wrong though.

Mine are two bed (separate bathroom) and I’ve had young families, professional couples and then 2 x friends sharing, out of all of them the 2 x male tenants (separate let’s , not the same 2 ppl) sharing on both occasions left the place like a tip. So personally, I would happily buy one with this layout in my investing area as from my experience, young professional couples or young families are the audience I’d like to appeal to anyway.

Also, like I have experienced before..with 2 separate people sharing , the risk of one of them leaving / moving in with someone else (partner etc) is high then posing a risk of unpaid rent by the remaining tenant 

I think I agree with Julia Urqhart? And, the benefit of adding a bathroom will probably be negated by the fact that the bedroom is smaller. Additionally, a bathroom without a window is not a great idea in a rental property as is likely to need major sorting out between tenants. I am far from an expert on this and would be interested to hear what others think?