Is the Liverpool market saturated?

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot from others also interested in BTLs in Liverpool. Although I'm only now in a position to buy my first I've seeing a lot of frustration from others trying; difficulty getting viewings and a lot of competition. Is it a bit late to get in on the great deals?

Bit on me; I have ~£60k released for deposit looking for place where I can add some value and refinance. I'm open to investing anywhere in the UK. 2 beds for single lets most likely to keeps things simple. Houses over flats for the refurb.

Keen to hear a verdict from those currently closing in Liverpool, as most of the forum threads are years old. Is Leeds a better target location now for this strategy?

Hi @ld2x07

I'm not sure if you've seen the video, but the Robs have just revealed their 2021 hotspots for property investment, which Liverpool is included in.

There's more detail in the video, but some of the reasons include the low affordability, investment projects worth billions in the city, as well as the potential for international investment.

I'm sure other users will give you their insight as well, but I thought this was a good resource for you in the meantime.

Mark

Mark Rocks
Community Builder and Content Writer

www.propertyhub.net

01_original.png

Hi, feel free to contact me via email if you want further information Re investing in Liverpool. I have a few, Successful, investments in Liverpool and i live in the City too. I am keen to grow my investor network so we can share knowledge and experience.  

If i can help you i will. Michael (michael.a.heyes@gmail.com)

1 hour ago, michael_heyes said:

Hi, feel free to contact me via email if you want further information Re investing in Liverpool. I have a few, Successful, investments in Liverpool and i live in the City too. I am keen to grow my investor network so we can share knowledge and experience.  

If i can help you i will. Michael (michael.a.heyes@gmail.com)

Thanks Michael, I'm likewise keen to build a network.

1 hour ago, Mark Rocks said:

Hi @ld2x07

I'm not sure if you've seen the video, but the Robs have just revealed their 2021 hotspots for property investment, which Liverpool is included in.

There's more detail in the video, but some of the reasons include the low affordability, investment projects worth billions in the city, as well as the potential for international investment.

I'm sure other users will give you their insight as well, but I thought this was a good resource for you in the meantime.

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the quick response.

I have yes. Liverpool has been listed as a big opportunity for a long while and many investors are keen to snap up anything. Hence my question; is it saturated with investors? Is it still troublesome and competitive? I live in London so finding deals and making viewings is a lengthier process in the best of times!

6 minutes ago, ld2x07 said:

Thanks Michael, I'm likewise keen to build a network.

Hi Mark, thanks for the quick response.

I have yes. Liverpool has been listed as a big opportunity for a long while and many investors are keen to snap up anything. Hence my question; is it saturated with investors? Is it still troublesome and competitive? I live in London so finding deals and making viewings is a lengthier process in the best of times!

In my opinion most out of town investors go to areas like Anfield, Speke, Toxteth, center L1 etc. The attractive yields entice investors but the quality of the tenants are not always A1 class and turn over is high. I would pick one area and concentrate all your efforts on there, that way you will know when a good property comes on the market in that area. I have bought all my properties well below market value just by doing this as well as and forming good relationships with the sellers estate agents. 

i have viewed properties for friend who are out of town on their behalf, however i have a demanding job and can not commit to help on all occasions 

• 5 weeks later...

Careful of Liverpool. I'm not saying it's not a good town to invest in, only that you need to know what you're doing. You can lose your shirt there very easily. Also, prices are quite inflated now - you really need to know your postcodes and even your streets. It's easy to overpay, and when prices drop, they drop like a stone, and often don't recover for a good few years thereafter. Leasehold properties are particularly problematic there. Another problem is with the quality of tenants, and with the quality of agents to manage them and your properties... If you're got any specific questions about that city, I'd be glad to help, as I've been investing there for a while now. 

Hi Adiel,

I've been looking at Dingle and Toxteth. Just back from the waterfront where a lot of transformation work is going on and hopefully some trickle growth can be expected. They have some nice 2/3 bed freehold terraced houses. I narrowed my search down to 10 properties I liked and met my goals. All on the market for less than 2 weeks, but when I called the agents they were all sold! Hence my original post. It seems like the market is saturated with investors.

This is particularly troublesome for me as I live in London; getting up for the weekend for viewings takes some prep and I don't know if I can expect to respond as quickly as I may need to.

Any advice on this please let me know. Or if you have a feel for the areas I'm looking at. I may try Kensington/Fairfield or Edge Hill areas next if no joy..

thanks

Leo

On 2/20/2021 at 1:39 PM, Leo SD said:

Hi Adiel,

I've been looking at Dingle and Toxteth. Just back from the waterfront where a lot of transformation work is going on and hopefully some trickle growth can be expected. They have some nice 2/3 bed freehold terraced houses. I narrowed my search down to 10 properties I liked and met my goals. All on the market for less than 2 weeks, but when I called the agents they were all sold! Hence my original post. It seems like the market is saturated with investors.

This is particularly troublesome for me as I live in London; getting up for the weekend for viewings takes some prep and I don't know if I can expect to respond as quickly as I may need to.

Any advice on this please let me know. Or if you have a feel for the areas I'm looking at. I may try Kensington/Fairfield or Edge Hill areas next if no joy..

thanks

Leo

Leo, 

I just secured a property for a investor friend based in Surrey, i viewed the property for him and helped him compile a good offer. We got it for under the asking price which in this market is a great achievement. It needs some refurb which i am managing for him too and i am going to help find the right tenants and manage it for him too. The property is in a great area and will attract A1 tenants which will give a consistent income. 

I am not a property expert but i have b2L in Liverpool and i live in the City too so i know it well which give me the confidence and knowledge i need to help others. 

please feel free to contact me if you want to chat about your investment opportunities. 

Michael 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 8:03 PM, adiel stephenson said:

Careful of Liverpool. I'm not saying it's not a good town to invest in, only that you need to know what you're doing. You can lose your shirt there very easily. Also, prices are quite inflated now - you really need to know your postcodes and even your streets. It's easy to overpay, and when prices drop, they drop like a stone, and often don't recover for a good few years thereafter. Leasehold properties are particularly problematic there. Another problem is with the quality of tenants, and with the quality of agents to manage them and your properties... If you're got any specific questions about that city, I'd be glad to help, as I've been investing there for a while now. 

Hi Adiel,

Thanks for the realistic outlook. Which areas do you like? I'm currently thinking Kirkdale due some on the projects set to happen there but am apprehensive for your reasons mentioned above. Any tips?

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 1:39 PM, Leo SD said:

Hi Adiel,

thanks

Leo

H Adiel,

Which area you recommend for investing?what is the yield 

Hi Leo SD, 

Yes I do think Liverpool is saturated but from all I read on other areas it’s much the same everywhere else. I started investing about 3 years ago in L12 but have been forced to look at surrounding postcodes other prices crept up and up and am still looking for properties in Liverpool. If you have a target yield that your looking to achieve it becomes a little bit easier to look at and assess deals, obviously prices have gone up but that’s property and the currant market, yes you could wait 6/12 months and there maybe a drop in prices but I don’t think so... 

As for areas I was brought up around the Dingle (Bread Streets) and have many fond memories of the area and I see it as a good safe investment, ok you may not get as much yield as other areas but you’ll have no problem letting the property out and the majority of the people that live there care about the area which is shown by the way the streets and kerb fronts are kept. 

Neil

www.propertyviewernorthwest.com