What is this damp? How much would it cost to fix?

As above, really. Any idea?

Property is in Merseyside & the other side of this wall is a bedroom wall with a similar looking patch. The damp seems to be coming from the ceiling, roof, or somewhere like that.

Was wondering how much this might cost me, at most. Trying to use this to make an offer on a property.

Thanks!

Arjun

142094_289_IMG_13_0000.jpg

9 hours ago, alastairkennedy said:

Impossible to tell from this.  It could be a leaking tank/overflow; slipped slate/damaged felt; leaking gutter; or extremely poor pointing/render.  

Can you not look further in the roof void, or get a survey. 

Thanks, Alastair!

I'm trying to get a viewing, to which I'd bring a builder and a damp expert, but it's so hard to get a viewing at the moment that suits my work hours! Nobody is willing to do Saturday viewings, which is causing me real pain haha.

In terms of maximum cost, any rough idea? Surely it can't be more than £20k to fix it?

Cheers!

Assuming that is an upstairs bathroom it looks like it is either the roof or the gutter / down pipe that is the problem. You might be able to see a gutter problem from outside and a look in the loft might show you if there is water coming in through the roof.

You would need to find the leak and then repair the wall - maybe replaster on both sides before redecoration. Given the state of that bathroom not a lot more than you would be doing anyway! I wouldn't imagine the cost would be anything like £20k.

Good luck :)

31 minutes ago, julia urquhart said:

Assuming that is an upstairs bathroom it looks like it is either the roof or the gutter / down pipe that is the problem. You might be able to see a gutter problem from outside and a look in the loft might show you if there is water coming in through the roof.

You would need to find the leak and then repair the wall - maybe replaster on both sides before redecoration. Given the state of that bathroom not a lot more than you would be doing anyway! I wouldn't imagine the cost would be anything like £20k.

Good luck :)

Thank you very much Julia! I was thinking the same.

From the video they've sent me, the problematic wall is between a bedroom & this bathroom & both sides of the wall look the same. There is no gutter near that wall or roof area & I hypothesise that either the roof needs a look at, or a new gutter needs to be installed there, or both. Currently, from the video they've sent me, it seems as though rain falls on to the roof, runs off the roof & drips down the wall. The video also shows a big patch in the top corner of the bathroom, giving evidence to my idea of a roof leak or problem.

Even if the whole pitched roof needs replacing, tiles & the lot, it can't come to more than £20k, so that works well with me.

Would appreciate any comments on the above.

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, julia urquhart said:

Unusual not to have a gutter (only seen that on a thatch) - would imagine that would definitely cause a problem. Is this a terrace - if so do the houses either side have gutters?

Attached a screenshot from the video. The property on the right is the one I'm after & you can see that next door's property has a proper gutter, whilst the one I'm after doesn't seem to have anything. What do you think?

207765368_Screenshot2021-01-20at13_38_50.thumb.png.deccf3fe4114f607a5a00957a4e2cb37.png

I am not a professional - this is just an opinion!

I can't work out from the two pictures where the bathroom is as the windows don't seem to match at all, but I'm pretty sure you should have a gutter like the one on the left on the recessed part of the building and the back wall pipework looks really odd. The picture is not really clear but it looks like a piece of pipe is missing - from the gutter above the alarm box to the top of the down pipe. That would explain why the walk looks damp.

Additionally the poo pipe appears to have been inserted into the down pipe with no vent above the roof line (as on the far right). The brickwork around the poo pipe has not been made good either.

It looks to me as if someone has really botched putting the bathroom upstairs - they put the poo pipe into the downpipe and then disconnected the downpipe from the gutter so it has a vent of some sort. I hate to think what is happening at the bottom of the pipework - the potential for raw sewage to be on view is pretty substantial!

Sorting out the soil stack and the guttering would probably solve your damp issue and would be a must from any perspective and potentially not that expensive so long as the connection at the bottom is to a sewer.

Hope that is helpful  :) 

2 hours ago, julia urquhart said:

I am not a professional - this is just an opinion!

I can't work out from the two pictures where the bathroom is as the windows don't seem to match at all, but I'm pretty sure you should have a gutter like the one on the left on the recessed part of the building and the back wall pipework looks really odd. The picture is not really clear but it looks like a piece of pipe is missing - from the gutter above the alarm box to the top of the down pipe. That would explain why the walk looks damp.

Additionally the poo pipe appears to have been inserted into the down pipe with no vent above the roof line (as on the far right). The brickwork around the poo pipe has not been made good either.

It looks to me as if someone has really botched putting the bathroom upstairs - they put the poo pipe into the downpipe and then disconnected the downpipe from the gutter so it has a vent of some sort. I hate to think what is happening at the bottom of the pipework - the potential for raw sewage to be on view is pretty substantial!

Sorting out the soil stack and the guttering would probably solve your damp issue and would be a must from any perspective and potentially not that expensive so long as the connection at the bottom is to a sewer.

Hope that is helpful  :) 

Both responses were really helpful, Julia! Thank you ever so much.

Any other comments from anyone else are also much appreciated!