2 Bed Flat Refurb

Hi all,

I am looking to try my hand at my first BRR and i am just looking for a bit of advice on what costs to expect.

I am thinking of purchasing a 2 bed first floor flat just outside of Newcastle. The work that will need done is.

New bathroom suite 

New kitchen 

New boiler 

Plastering throughout the flat 

Rewire 

New carpets 

Decorating throughout 

I understand this is not a lot of information to work with and there are a lot of other variables, but i am just looking for a rough guide of what the costs for each of these could be?

Has anyone done a refurb similar to this? I am looking to achieve this at a cost under £10,000. Is this achievable? I look forward to any advice anyone can give.

Thanks 

Ian

It rather depends on what you are planning to do yourself and what standard fittings you plan to use. Assuming you need trades for most I would hazard a guess at:

1. New Bathroom £1500-£2500

2. New kitchen -  £1500-£2500

3. New boiler - £1000-£1500

4. Plastering - £1000-£1500

5. Rewire - £1000 (don't forget your EICR)

6. Carpets - £750 - £1500 

7. Decorating - £250. if you do it yourself

You could spend a lot more and there will be things you have not thought of that become apparent as you go through the process. You could get it done for £10,000 but paying a bit more for better quality fittings might be worthwhile. I am about to start on a 2 bed 1970s terrace with a similar refurb (no plastering) and I am expecting between £10k & £15k.

Julia's answer was pretty good. I would add a couple of things

- I think the kitchen might go above £2,500, once you buy your appliances

- Flooring starts at £5 per metre for laminate or vinyl

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vin Gupta
Property Investor and Developer
UK Property Blog: https://evolutionblogger.com/article/uk-property-articles
Travel Blog: https://soulfultravelguy.com/

Thanks for the advice. I have a builder coming to have a look at the property on Monday and to give a quote. He did mention similar costs as your selfs via email.

Cheers 

Ian