Rent increase without prior notice

Hi all, 

I am on a two year tenancy agreement which ends November 2021. There is a clause in the contract that allows the landlord to review rent on an annual basis. He recently increased the rent of which I was not informed and two months down the line, on January 21st 2021,  the credit control team of the agency that manages the property called me to inform that I owed an overdue amount. It was at this time that I got to know of the increase in rent. I have paid the overdue amount and adjusted the direct debit for the rent today, but was not sure if this rent increase was legal. I thought the tenant has to be informed a month in prior and an agreement laid out again? Please advice. 

Regards,

Murty. 

Hi, you should have either signed a new tenancy agreement with the new amount or if on a rolling (periodic contact) a section 13 notice should have been issued notifying you about the rent increase. 
I would advice you talk to the agency as it maybe the rent increase was in the last month of the original agreement. 
thanks

James 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 10:25 AM, murty said:

I am on a two year tenancy agreement which ends November 2021. There is a clause in the contract that allows the landlord to review rent on an annual basis. He recently increased the rent of which I was not informed and two months down the line, on January 21st 2021,  the credit control team of the agency that manages the property called me to inform that I owed an overdue amount. It was at this time that I got to know of the increase in rent. I have paid the overdue amount and adjusted the direct debit for the rent today, but was not sure if this rent increase was legal. I thought the tenant has to be informed a month in prior and an agreement laid out again? Please advice. 

What your describing doesn't sound legal. A landlord can't increase the rent, without a tenant agreeing to it. 

You should call up your local council's private rental team and explain to them what has happened. They will advise wat you need to do

Frankly. these guys sound like cowboys

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vin Gupta
Property Investor and Developer
UK Property Blog: https://evolutionblogger.com/article/uk-property-articles
Travel Blog: https://soulfultravelguy.com/