Jump to content

Lodger vs. shorthold tenancy for short term let

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I currently own a 2 bedroom flat and live in it with a lodger. However I'm going to stay with my parents for the next 4-5 month and I'd like to rent my room out to someone on a short-term basis during this period. I was wondering whether:

a). I would have to change my current lodger's agreement to a tenancy agreement as I would not be living in the flat with her for those 4-5 months

b). Whether the person renting out my room would need a tenancy agreement or a lodger's agreement

I would still consider this property my full-time residence as I'm only leaving it for 4-5 months and would still pay all the council tax on it.

Please let me know if anyone has any insight!


Link to post

If you are not living there the lodgers become tenants so they would be on a deemed AST whatever paperwork you gave them. The new tenant would also have to have a minimum term of 6 mnths & may not leave when you want them too!

You could leave your lodger in place and not rent your room - keeping it and visiting occasionally should be enough to keep your lodger as a lodger.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...