planning permission needed to convert a two bedroom flat into a three bedroom flat?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first question, so thanks in advance for your responses and help.

I own a 2 bedroom flat which I share a part of the freehold going on now 11yr . I'm now looking to do a full refurbishment. it's a large Victorian house conversion of three self-contained Flats. The flats I own is located on the middle floor. 

The flat is perfect to turn into a 3 bedroom as it has a very large living room with high ceilings. The option I was considering was converts the living room into a kitchen diner. I would then turn the kitchen as it has sufficient windows and the size of the room would qualify as double bedroom And Would be sufficient to be a third bedroom.

I have had builders look round the flat and no one has any issues in making the conversion. However, amongst those who have seen the flat, there's a difference in opinion as to whether I'd need the others to freeholders consent to make the conversion. All the builders' suggest that, as I will be making no structural change, then I am free to make the conversion without the over freeholders consent. Estate agents who have given me a valuations on the property have suggested that despite the fact that I am not making structural changes, I would still need over freeholders consent. 

Thanks,

Hi,

Providing there is no condition or legal agreement on the original planning permission for the conversion of the building into flats (if there was ever a permission) that prevents the creation of new bedrooms or controls changes to floorplans etc, then it is unlikely that you would require planning permission. 

With regards the permission of other freeholders, I am afraid I cannot help - it may be worth asking a solicitor

Hope this helps

Tom

22 hours ago, b3 said:

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first question, so thanks in advance for your responses and help.

I own a 2 bedroom flat which I share a part of the freehold going on now 11yr . I'm now looking to do a full refurbishment. it's a large Victorian house conversion of three self-contained Flats. The flats I own is located on the middle floor. 

The flat is perfect to turn into a 3 bedroom as it has a very large living room with high ceilings. The option I was considering was converts the living room into a kitchen diner. I would then turn the kitchen as it has sufficient windows and the size of the room would qualify as double bedroom And Would be sufficient to be a third bedroom.

With leasehold properties, the freeholder may object to any works. However, in this situation you are the freeholder (jointly). There really shouldn't be any issue

You may want to read your lease, and see if you are breaking any terms

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vin Gupta
Property Investor and Developer
UK Property Blog: https://evolutionblogger.com/article/uk-property-articles
Travel Blog: https://soulfultravelguy.com/

15 hours ago, EvolutionBlogger said:

With leasehold properties, the freeholder may object to any works. However, in this situation you are the freeholder (jointly). There really shouldn't be any issue

You may want to read your lease, and see if you are breaking any terms

Really appreciate your advice i looking into this.